CVO Garage
April 25, 2018, 05:05:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Garage is accepting donations for upkeep and maintenance.  Click the Donations Menu Tab to help!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cooked Up Sticky BBQ Grill & Smoke Thread  (Read 99278 times)
iski
Executive QC Service Advisor

Hold your ears folks, it's show time.

My Ride 1:2002 FLHRCI Road King Classic - Vivid Black - Traded

My Ride 2:2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded

My Ride 3:2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded

My Ride 4:2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 07:55:01 AM »

The only drawback I see with the Weber grill is the burners go left / right instead of front / back.  This makes it nearly useless for low heat indirect cooking (which I do a lot of).  I have a Napolean PB450SBR.  Might not be available in FL.  They're made in Canada.  I love the three burners.  It's real easy to get the temp dialed in.

As I was reading reviews I was VERY interested in this grill.  I checked & it was not available locally - could not see one in person.  My memory is bad but I recall a friend with one of these in St. Louis.  Had an infared deal that seared steaks to perfection. 

I have a buddy who grills competitively & he is always talking ab out indirect heat & timing.

I like pie.
EBCM 007
iski

My Ride 2:2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded

My Ride 3:2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded

My Ride 4:2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 07:57:21 AM »

I picked up this bad boy a few years ago! Great grill for the $$$!!! It's my BAG (Big Ass Grill)!!! Thumbs Up Wink

Superb Gas Grills PRODUCT# SSG36N-SCG-GSS-2SGR1

Superb Gas Grills

Hoist! It's Howie

Howie, not that I will outlive you, but if I did, to be in your will would be VERY interesting.  Whattagrill!

Grin

I like pie.
EBCM 007
Keats
Service Advisor

My Youngest

My Ride 1:2008 FLHTCUSE3

My Ride 2:2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 10:12:51 AM »

Thanks, appears I made a good purchase.  Buying this from the local Ace Hardware Store since when I can, I buy local.  Plus they give good personal service even when all I am looking for is a bolt or a washer.  They will put it together for me also, and otherwise I would be getting it from an online company in a box.  And they give me double points on this purchase.

Their website says stainless flavorizer bars - must be what I am getting.  Those things work very well - after they burn out I replace them & it keeps the junk away from the burners.

I shut the middle burner down (on the old Weber) for most things I grill & used the middle mostly.  Back does tend to be a little hotter so if I am using the entire surface I turn that burner down.   

I was trying to keep this purchase under $1,000 & this seemed to be the best for the money from what I wa reading & from friends.  If I had known you were in that biz I would have asked you.  You sell some great brands!

You made the right decision,

Weber is the best for replacement parts,
great even cooking grill, not terrible on the budget (try buying a better grill at the same price point)

if taken care of will last 15 -20 years

rust and corrosion are the grills enemy, so keep it covered and it will last

Great Choice!

You did not need my help, made the right decision

D&D Fatcats 2 into 1, Andrews 54H Cams, Ported, milled and coated heads, 2.120 intake valve, Timkin Bearing conversion, SE Crank Darkhorse'd Plugged and welded, SE Cam plate, CR 9.8, SE adjust rods, Johnson Lifters, KB Pistons/rings matched w/jugs trued.
sawyerghost
Shop Gopher

New Storefront

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 11:59:41 AM »

Good Loooking Grill there ISKI,

I am a Big Green Egg Fan myself.
Anyone interested, toooo much to talk about.
Go to biggreenegg.com
Like most grills you can do anything on it, even bake a cake, make pizza's,etc.
I have a few favorite's like marianated Boneless Turkey Breast.
And the best and most moist steak tht I ever had anywhere!.

Hoist!
Monster!
Administrator

HBRRNYC!!!

My Ride 1:'07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED! +++, "CYBIL"!!!

My Ride 2:'99 FXR3, BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, 80" STAGE II EVO 5-SPEED! +++, "JOY"!!!

My Ride 3:'85 FXWG, BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED! +++, CVO STYLE!!!

My Ride 4:'08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR-BASED PRO STREET, BLACK, BOYCE FRAME, HOT 89" EVO 5-SPEED! VERY FAST!!!

My Ride 5:'09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE SOLO BATES SEAT & TIN W/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" STAGE III EVO 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 12:40:56 PM »

Damn, That grill is sweet. One question, does the gas come in from the right or left?  Wink I did love my Weber though, that was a great grill.

It wasn't as expensive as it looks! I didn't get their refrigerator, just the cooktop and cart with side burner and side shelf. It does it all, including infrared rotisserie, smoking chips compartment, all SS construction, etc. A CVO grill at non-CVO pricing! I love this grill. I have it hooked up permanent to NG from the house. No propane tanks to deal with!

The gas comes in the rear. There's plenty of room back there. So I imagine there'd be no restriction on how to pipe the gas.

56" Brushed Stainless Steel Freestanding Grill with Cart
Five 15,000 BTU Cast Stainless Steel Burners
Single Side Shelf
Two 12,000 BTU Independently Controlled Ceramic Rotisserie Burners Rated
30,000 BTU Cast Stainless Side Burner
Lifetime Warranty on all parts
Cart Features
4 Electrical Outlets
Plenty of Shelving
Tool Hooks
Enough Room for a Small Refrigerator
Reversible Plates
Reduces Flare us Created by Some Foods
Brand Your Steaks
Superb's Patent-Pending Pop-Up Grill Light
The Superb Outdoor Cooking Center is the designer grill with every feature you ever wanted and more!! The steaming compartment above the grill captures 200 - 400 of heat. Cook to perfection even after dark with Superb's patent-pending pop-up grill light. Even in cold weather, the fluorescent light illuminates the cooking surface so you can actually see what you are doing after the sun goes down. Cook two birds with one grill. Two independent 12,000 Btu infrared burners allow for cooking more than one bird. Use both burners for smooth, even cooking of two turkeys or up to four chickens. Use one burner to prepare a turkey on one side and use the other half of the grill surface to barbecue steak, burgers, etc.

Hoist! It's Howie

"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!!!"

Live Free or Die!!!

Zero Moderation Is Our Goal!!!

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"
Miker

SoA # 1.77245385

My Ride 1:2009 FLHTCUSE4

My Ride 2:1935 VLD
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 12:55:02 PM »

Smiley

Nevermind
J-Carr
AKA: Oscar Diggs

That's what she said

My Ride 1:2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon Copper & Stardust Silver with SEAC, SSERT, and Fulsac 1.75" Slip Ons.  "Screamin' Nemo"

My Ride 2:1966 Road Queen Dori all original parts with some removed for better performance. "Screamin' Malinda"
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2009, 01:13:06 PM »

The gas comes in the rear. There's plenty of room back there. So I imagine there'd be no restriction on how to pipe the gas.

Umm.  After reading Iski and 2LRs posts I've determined that this is why your grill wouldn't work for them.  They need the gas to go out the rear and for our sake, restrictions on where they pipe the gas would be most beneficial.

Ride Safe,
JC

Please stop the planet.  I would like to get off.
Miker

SoA # 1.77245385

My Ride 1:2009 FLHTCUSE4

My Ride 2:1935 VLD
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2009, 01:14:28 PM »

He makes it too easy JC, really he does... Hysterical Laughing

Nevermind
J-Carr
AKA: Oscar Diggs

That's what she said

My Ride 1:2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon Copper & Stardust Silver with SEAC, SSERT, and Fulsac 1.75" Slip Ons.  "Screamin' Nemo"

My Ride 2:1966 Road Queen Dori all original parts with some removed for better performance. "Screamin' Malinda"
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2009, 01:24:50 PM »

He makes it too easy JC, really he does... Hysterical Laughing
I had to read it three times to believe he gave me a set up that easy.  Talk about a hanging curve ball...  Hysterical Laughing

Surprised me I got he first swing in on it though.

Ride Safe,
JC

Please stop the planet.  I would like to get off.
Hoist!
Monster!
Administrator

HBRRNYC!!!

My Ride 1:'07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED! +++, "CYBIL"!!!

My Ride 2:'99 FXR3, BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, 80" STAGE II EVO 5-SPEED! +++, "JOY"!!!

My Ride 3:'85 FXWG, BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED! +++, CVO STYLE!!!

My Ride 4:'08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR-BASED PRO STREET, BLACK, BOYCE FRAME, HOT 89" EVO 5-SPEED! VERY FAST!!!

My Ride 5:'09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE SOLO BATES SEAT & TIN W/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" STAGE III EVO 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2009, 01:34:26 PM »

I'm a Miata guy, what can I tell ya!!! Roll Eyes Shocked Evil Hysterical Laughing Hysterical Laughing Hysterical Laughing

Hoist! It's Howie

"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!!!"

Live Free or Die!!!

Zero Moderation Is Our Goal!!!

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"
Keats
Service Advisor

My Youngest

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2009, 03:02:17 PM »

So what do you recommend.

I trashed my Weber after 18 years this spring and am in the market.
Been looking at the stainless grills (we live 2-3 miles from the beach).

Most of the grills I have seen have way to large of an opening in the back - lets all the heat out. Some have an almost 2" slot!.

Any thoughts - opinions on the Weber Summit series? Particullary this one "Weber 2740301 Summit S-470"

Duane,

near the shore corrosion is main enemy (understatement)

The S470 is an impressive grill and at Approx $2000.00 it should be

pros;  has about everything ,
smoker,
searer,
rotiss w/rear infrared,
nice looking,
big,
easy to get parts (that is a huge plus due to the salt air corrosion)
even though it is expensive by normal grill stds, it is cheap in the ultra grill market

cons: not made like the LYnx (not as heavy gauge ss)
elect ignition good but battery operated (110 ac better)

D&D Fatcats 2 into 1, Andrews 54H Cams, Ported, milled and coated heads, 2.120 intake valve, Timkin Bearing conversion, SE Crank Darkhorse'd Plugged and welded, SE Cam plate, CR 9.8, SE adjust rods, Johnson Lifters, KB Pistons/rings matched w/jugs trued.
Keats
Service Advisor

My Youngest

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2009, 03:06:53 PM »

Good Loooking Grill there ISKI,

I am a Big Green Egg Fan myself.
Anyone interested, toooo much to talk about.
Go to biggreenegg.com
Like most grills you can do anything on it, even bake a cake, make pizza's,etc.
I have a few favorite's like marianated Boneless Turkey Breast.
And the best and most moist steak tht I ever had anywhere!.

This is the grill the FXR guys would pick, It takes on a cult like following.

I am sure the big green egg can also wash your bike with the right accessory.

It is a retained heat grill with a lid containing most of the moisture. (guys like to brag how they cooked 6 steaks with only 1 charcoal chunk and a piece of toilet paper.

iski

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2009, 04:40:33 PM »

I have a friend with a Big Green Egg.  He cooks everything on it & does talk about how little charcoal it uses.

When my son & I were at Philmont we were at some camp in the southern part - cannot remember the name now - and we cooked bread & buffalo in a brick oven that was super hot & used very little wood.  Indian style oven - amazing how well it worked.  Place also had ICE cold root beer in their cantina.  Wish I could remember the name.

Keats - appreciate all the comments - like a lot of guys I am a grilling nut (minor league compared to some).  I noticed the price jump and the features increase at about $2,000.  If I was looking in that price range (or even a little up from there) what would be your pick for best buy? 

I like pie.
EBCM 007
Keats
Service Advisor

My Youngest

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2009, 06:31:09 PM »

I have a friend with a Big Green Egg.  He cooks everything on it & does talk about how little charcoal it uses.

When my son & I were at Philmont we were at some camp in the southern part - cannot remember the name now - and we cooked bread & buffalo in a brick oven that was super hot & used very little wood.  Indian style oven - amazing how well it worked.  Place also had ICE cold root beer in their cantina.  Wish I could remember the name.

Keats - appreciate all the comments - like a lot of guys I am a grilling nut (minor league compared to some).  I noticed the price jump and the features increase at about $2,000.  If I was looking in that price range (or even a little up from there) what would be your pick for best buy?  

Personally I do not like that price point,

not high enough to get into the very good grills like Lynx, DCS, Dacor, Viking (I do not like this one, overpriced) Optima, Thermador, Monogram.

I have a tendency to like Companies that their main business is Grills So that would Be Lynx and maybe DCS

Dacor is a great grill but pricey, Monogram nice grill,  but Lynx is really just a grill company.

There are hundreds of manufactures out there and they all have there claim as the best.

What is important is that they have a large enough "normal" grill area, an indirect method of grilling like an infrared rotisserie and it would be nice if they had
a dedicated searing section that is an infrared burner below (really hot)

if I had to spend 2000.00 and could not go higher I would buy 2 grills.  
1 grill an overall grill with rotiss and
another Grill that is a dedicated indirect grill
of the holland/phoenix/shore line variety.

I would then have the best of all words.
I personally have 3 grills.    A big 48" DCS grill, A stainless charcoal grill and a smoker.

I had a Holland and I miss that type of grill a lot.

Just put a whole turkey on the grill and it cooks with a smokey flavor with very little work since there is no flare ups.
these grills are the best for Turkey. chicken and ribs. cook slower and the grease doen't catch fire

there is no tending to them, just put the food on and time it.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 06:50:47 PM by Keats » Logged

Keats
Service Advisor

My Youngest

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2009, 06:58:58 PM »

As the economy turns down, many of these grill companies will go out of business and the biggest problem with these smaller (and some not so small)

companies,  they will not be there when you need parts,

most parts are proprietary

So either buy from a company that will never really need a critical part or buy from a company that is likely to be there for many years with support

I think that Weber would be the later and Lynx would be the former[color]

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: