CVO Garage
August 17, 2018, 11:50:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Garage is accepting donations for upkeep and maintenance.  Click the Donations Menu Tab to help!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another problem has popped up on the Ultra, Radio is intermittant  (Read 21911 times)
Hoist!
Monster!
Administrator
Executive QC Service Advisor

HBRRNYC!!!

My Ride 1:'07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED! +++, "CYBIL"!!!

My Ride 2:'99 FXR3, BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, 80" STAGE II EVO 5-SPEED! +++, "JOY"!!!

My Ride 3:'85 FXWG, BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED! +++, CVO STYLE!!!

My Ride 4:'08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR-BASED PRO STREET, BLACK, BOYCE FRAME, HOT 89" EVO 5-SPEED! VERY FAST!!!

My Ride 5:'09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE SOLO BATES SEAT & TIN W/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" STAGE III EVO 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »

You maybe should consider these, if you have modified the bike, added larger speakers, cams, stiffer mtr mounts and such.  The radio seems to help hold the vertical braces in place and if they move, it sort of turns the radio into an accordion.  Think about it, the heat sink is on the right side of the radio, inside there are some components attached to it as well as the circuit board.  If you flex them enough, they break and you see the results.  These braces appear to lock in the vertical supports and protect the radio. 

Harley changed the vertical braces in mid 08 to make them more rigid.  How many people have had the vertical brackets break? or does the CD skip while riding at different speeds due to the shake in the fairing?  These appear to help.  Tom 149 is putting them in his bike and we Will see how they help him. 

BTW, Iron Cross does a great job repairing the radios and they do add a number of things to them to help keep them working properly. 

I destroyed a radio before I understood the failure mode, since I replaced the radio and put these braces in place, I have over 5k miles on this radio (first radio didn't last very long, less than 1k)and it still works great.  (my opinion)  The CD rarely skips now.  Smoother ride at highway speed due to less shake. 

Let me know if you have any questions, Looking forward to hear what Tom 149 has to say. 

Brad   Thumbs Up

Great first hand info FLHSE! Very helpful first post! I'm sure this'll come in handy to some folks. Mike mjb had Iron Cross also do some work for him and he was very happy with their work too. Good info for all you FD guys!!! Hope your enjoying The Garage!!! Thumbs Up Wink

Hoist! It's Howie

"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!!!"

Live Free or Die!!!

Zero Moderation Is Our Goal!!!

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"
tom149
Shop Gopher

My Ride 1:06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate 107CI

My Ride 2:98' FATBOY
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2010, 02:17:24 PM »

You maybe should consider these, if you have modified the bike, added larger speakers, cams, stiffer mtr mounts and such.  The radio seems to help hold the vertical braces in place and if they move, it sort of turns the radio into an accordion.  Think about it, the heat sink is on the right side of the radio, inside there are some components attached to it as well as the circuit board.  If you flex them enough, they break and you see the results.  These braces appear to lock in the vertical supports and protect the radio.  

Harley changed the vertical braces in mid 08 to make them more rigid.  How many people have had the vertical brackets break? or does the CD skip while riding at different speeds due to the shake in the fairing?  These appear to help.  Tom 149 is putting them in his bike and we Will see how they help him.  

BTW, Iron Cross does a great job repairing the radios and they do add a number of things to them to help keep them working properly.  

I destroyed a radio before I understood the failure mode, since I replaced the radio and put these braces in place, I have over 5k miles on this radio (first radio didn't last very long, less than 1k)and it still works great.  (my opinion)  The CD rarely skips now.  Smoother ride at highway speed due to less shake.  

Let me know if you have any questions, Looking forward to hear what Tom 149 has to say.  

Brad   Thumbs Up

Got my radio back from Iron Cross Audio and installed it. I also reinforced the vertical braces by using the the XM (left side) and GPS (right side) antenna mounting brackets as corner braces (a little drilling and a 1/4-20 bolt with a nylock on each side). I then installed the brackets that Brad made me, put in new horizontal speaker to vertical brace brackets, installed my Hawg Wired "four in the face" system and buttoned her up. I had a little problem with the ignition switch wires (3 wires were loose) and had to take everything apart again, fix the ignition problem, put it all back together and presto all was good. I have to say that after a test ride I couldn't believe how much less vibration and movement I had in the front fairing. Iron Cross Audio did a great job and they warn you to make sure your braces are all good or the vibration could cause another radio failure. I have to say that the added brackets that Brad made me to go above and below the radio and between the vertical fairing braces really tightened things up, I highly recommend them.

Tom
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 04:41:07 PM by tom149 » Logged

06' FLHTCUSE black candy crimson/slate, 107CI welded and ported TC 88 heads (swapped out SE 103 heads), jugs bored to 3.938, CP 107FT pistons, andrews hydraulic cam conversion kit with 54N cams, Rinehart TD, SE AC, SERT Dyno Tune, clearview recurve shield, detachable tour pak, HW "four in the face"
J-Carr
AKA: Oscar Diggs

That's what she said

My Ride 1:2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon Copper & Stardust Silver with SEAC, SSERT, and Fulsac 1.75" Slip Ons.  "Screamin' Nemo"

My Ride 2:1966 Road Queen Dori all original parts with some removed for better performance. "Screamin' Malinda"
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2011, 07:44:47 AM »

Well, resurecting this thread.  It's 2011.  My bike is a 2008.  And it's about to get it's fourth radio.  Same problem has happened three times.  Riding along, popping noise happens and then nothing out of the speakers.  Flip the speaker headset switch on the dash and the speakers come back.  For a bit.

I have the warrenty (sorry for the bad language) so it's not costing me anything but a day without the bike but since it's sucky weather I wouldn't be riding anyway (it's pouring here in honor of Jim's trip to Rib Fest).  I'm getting sick of this, but as much as I think Iron Cross Audio does outstanding work at reasonable prices, I'm not paying my money when Harley is obligated to pay for it.

On the subject of warrenty, mine has more then paid for itself with cams, lifters, 3 radios, two sets of grips, and one wheel.  Overall, I made a good decision buying the extended warrenty and it doesn't run out until August of 2014.  Of course, my payments go that long too.  Cry

Ride Safe,
JC

Please stop the planet.  I would like to get off.
iski

Hold your ears folks, it's show time.

My Ride 1:2002 FLHRCI Road King Classic - Vivid Black - Traded

My Ride 2:2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded

My Ride 3:2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded

My Ride 4:2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2011, 08:08:03 AM »

Good luck on getting this fixed JC.

The H/K radio on these bikes is a true POS.  My 2007 had issues that were never resolved.  So far the 2011 radio seems to work better - not sure what the reason for this would be though. 

HD needs to bite the bullet & go to a large format screen (GPS enabled) radio for their fairing bikes like some of the better car companies have come up with.

I like pie.
EBCM 007
J-Carr

That's what she said

My Ride 1:2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon Copper & Stardust Silver with SEAC, SSERT, and Fulsac 1.75" Slip Ons.  "Screamin' Nemo"

My Ride 2:1966 Road Queen Dori all original parts with some removed for better performance. "Screamin' Malinda"
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2011, 06:50:34 AM »

I think you've got the answer there Mike.  I can't see any developement being done to make the HK unit more reliable or more featured, and I can't see HD stepping up and doing a fairing redesign and electronic package replacement until they've got the LAN system that they've started to use on the Softails up to snuff.  Since the Starship Vision and the Goldwing don't have it, HD will not feel compelled to inovate in this economy.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, Nemo is sitting at the dealer with his fourth radio.  I've been told it's all good to go, but I am too busy working on my Ark to go get it.  Maybe in 40 days or so when the god damn mother f$#@ing c!@#sucking rain stops I'll be able to report back if it temporarily fixed it again.  But I'm not bitter about the weather here in the North East.

Ride Safe,
JC

iski

My Ride 2:2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded

My Ride 3:2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded

My Ride 4:2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2011, 09:13:21 AM »

4 radios is ridiculous, JC.  Are they reconditioned or new? Would wish you luck but at this point, you need more than that.

HD will probably follow another bike manufacturer on this but my guess is my hoped for radio with a big screen - with Bluetooth - (or whatever supplants Bluetooth that works better) will eventually be added to a redesigned HD fairing bike in order to boost sales due to loss of sales to competition.  It seems like the logical progression of electronics to me.  Cars did it on the higher end units & not sure if any bikes (Honda or BMW?) offer Bluetooth with a built in GPS, but if they do not, they are working on it.  Their car divisions already have it.  

There is a market for this stuff & if HD does not offer it some electronics guru will figure a redesigned fairing with all of the above & retrofit HDs with them.  Considering the crap HK radio, sort of surprised somebody has not tried it to date.  Trouble with stuff like that is - after you pay the mold charges & set up fees for the inner fairing, then HD comes out with their version 2 years later & you are left with no capital return.  Looking back, somebody could have done this HD radio/fairing redesign 5 years ago & made a buttload of money by now.

I like pie.
EBCM 007
iski

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2011, 09:25:03 AM »

I said NOTHING about the weather on purpose above since has been in the 70s & 80s highs - 50s & 60s lows & mostly dry here for weeks with a 90 degree blue sky weekend approaching. No heat or air conditioning needed, either.  This is in small font to make you wish you had not enlarged it to read it, or to give you ONE MORE REASON to move somewhere like Florida, in spite of the sharks, bugs, swamps, alligators, and assholes that moved here (like me) from "somewhere else."  LOL

I like pie.
EBCM 007
J-Carr

That's what she said

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2011, 10:08:58 AM »

I said NOTHING about the weather on purpose above since has been in the 70s & 80s highs - 50s & 60s lows & mostly dry here for weeks with a 90 degree blue sky weekend approaching. No heat or air conditioning needed, either.  This is in small font to make you wish you had not enlarged it to read it, or to give you ONE MORE REASON to move somewhere like Florida, in spite of the sharks, bugs, swamps, alligators, and assholes that moved here (like me) from "somewhere else."  LOL
Did I mention, that from squinting through the rain drops my eye site is now similar in ability to Steve Austin's and I can read and be jeleous of your weather regardless of font size?  If not, consider it mentioned!  Hysterical Laughing  Hysterical Laughing  Hysterical Laughing

I did an indeed.com search on my job abilities and there are no openings anywhere in Piss Aye (My current name for the hell that is PA).  But of course there are quite a few in Las Vegas and Tampa.  My number one and number two places to relocate.  I'm just waiting until Sean graduates and then the search is on.  I would certainly consider Talahassee as well.  Or Orlando, Miami, Jacksonville, Key West, Fort La.... You get the idea.  I love Florida.  Not sure the wife and parents would take to the humidity which is why we're also looking at Las Vegas and the rest of the southwest.

Who knows?  Maybe we'll be neighbors.

Ride Safe,
JC

iski

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2011, 12:20:17 PM »

Did I mention, that from squinting through the rain drops my eye site is now similar in ability to Steve Austin's and I can read and be jeleous of your weather regardless of font size?  If not, consider it mentioned!  Hysterical Laughing  Hysterical Laughing  Hysterical Laughing

I did an indeed.com search on my job abilities and there are no openings anywhere in Piss Aye (My current name for the hell that is PA).  But of course there are quite a few in Las Vegas and Tampa.  My number one and number two places to relocate.  I'm just waiting until Sean graduates and then the search is on.  I would certainly consider Talahassee as well.  Or Orlando, Miami, Jacksonville, Key West, Fort La.... You get the idea.  I love Florida.  Not sure the wife and parents would take to the humidity which is why we're also looking at Las Vegas and the rest of the southwest.

Who knows?  Maybe we'll be neighbors.

Ride Safe,
JC

Hysterical Laughing Drink

House across the street is for sale.  Houses are a good buy here but not sure if it has bottomed out yet.  

Tampa is the banking center & has tons of biz in the state.  Miami is a hell hole unless you have Big Bucks.  The areas north of Miami are ok & so are the areas west.  Miker lives north of Miami & has a KILLER cigar shop, that I envy long time.

Tally is sleepy & anti-biz & the county leaders are dedicated to keeping this place mostly a gummint town with some colleges.  The burbs are great.  We actually have roads with turns you can lean into & a few hills.  Can go for MILES in S GA with no traffic lights & goes for a lot of the panhandle, too. Doubt I would move here again if had it to do all over.  Considering maybe the Panama City/Destin/Pensacola area.  Closer to beaches & the weather is generally better.  Still humid, but you have an ocean.

Did not get the cover on the pool in time so now it's down to 80 & too cold to swim. Will be ok by Sat. or Sunday.

I like pie.
EBCM 007
Miker

SoA # 1.77245385

My Ride 1:2009 FLHTCUSE4

My Ride 2:1935 VLD
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2011, 01:20:39 PM »

Far away in SoFlo land....its exotic like living in a foreign land with no need for a passport, or it is Brooklyn without so much Italian food.

Coconuts and bikinis means 4-5 hour putt just to Ocala...3 hours south of Dtona...

I will strive for sno-bird status someday....Love to leave Soflo for say June-November annually.
No income tax on unearned income is a good thing and a reason to keep my Floridiocy intact.

Nevermind
J-Carr

That's what she said

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2011, 02:31:41 PM »

I've been to Ft. L/Miami, Tampa, Orlando and Daytona.  Spent a little time in each but Tampa.  Just a day there.  I loved it.  Daytona in July.  Not too hot for me. A bit so for Malinda, but she adapts well.  Comes from living with me.  Mom minds the heat.  Dad a bit.  They live with us and will go where I go without complaint, but I need to make sure they're happy as they've treated me well.

I love te architecture in Vegas with it being so over the top.  Plus I love the desert scenery.  No shortage of Bikini babes at the hotels.  MY problem there is I know no-one.   Makes it a bit harder to settle in.

I know a non biking couple near Orlando, And of course Miker and Amigo Jeorge in the SoFla area and Mike up north in the Tally area.  So if the decision was completely mine I'd probably say FLA.  Also, if the kid goes Coast Guard he's hoping for some station time down there.  That'd make the moms happy.  Vegas has no Ocean and even if it's the 6' Navy, they still (mostly) station people near oceans.

2 years.  I'll let ya all know then if we can get the hell outta here.

Ride Safe,
JC

iski

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2013, 03:49:19 PM »

Ultra radio crapped out. Getting a "new" refurbished radio from the Harley radio hell.  Just broke even - actually a few bucks ahead now on the extended waranty.

Speakers quit working.  This radio is a POS.  No hope the new one will be good for very long unless I get lucky.

May get a loaner bike since takes a week to get a radio.

Off topic - noticed no ethanol premium gas has more power and get 10%+ better gas mileage.  2 stations in town have it.  May buy some 6 gallon cans for the garage for bikes & small engines.

I like pie.
EBCM 007
Posty McPosterson
Administrator

My Ride 1:'07 Cherry Jester
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2013, 05:40:34 PM »

Good luck finding ethanoless fuel. Its a prime directive.

Sucks about the radio. I joked here after JC told me how to change the time that no wonder I didn't know how to do it, it requires the radio. To be off.

Currently, I have 6 months of extended warranty left. Not sure how I made out since I never saw a bill for the primary side rebuild 18 mos ago. I'll consider selling or trading when it runs out.

"A good wife always forgives her husband when she's wrong"
murphy

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2013, 09:23:57 PM »

Do yourself a favour, send it to Ironcross and have them pre-repair it for you, you can also have them hook up a rear aux port at the same time... it is worth the hundred or so dollars to not have to worry about it ever again.

I know this well, the one I have now is pre-repaired, it's #5 for me, no problems ever again.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 09:27:05 PM by murphy » Logged
Miker

SoA # 1.77245385

My Ride 1:2009 FLHTCUSE4

My Ride 2:1935 VLD
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2013, 06:15:23 AM »

Good luck finding ethanoless fuel. Its a prime directive.

Sucks about the radio. I joked here after JC told me how to change the time that no wonder I didn't know how to do it, it requires the radio. To be off.

Currently, I have 6 months of extended warranty left. Not sure how I made out since I never saw a bill for the primary side rebuild 18 mos ago. I'll consider selling or trading when it runs out.

Go to a marina and pay through the anus for it if you must have etoh free gas...

Nevermind
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: