CVO Garage
May 24, 2018, 04:50:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Garage is accepting donations for upkeep and maintenance.  Click the Donations Menu Tab to help!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: who here knows how to wire tour pack lights  (Read 13004 times)
Keats
Service Advisor

My Youngest

My Ride 1:2008 FLHTCUSE3

My Ride 2:2003 FXSTDSEI
« on: August 27, 2009, 04:44:46 PM »

I am being lazy and wanted to know if there was an easy way to wire my pack lights as turn signals in addition to the brakes lights?

right now they are just brake lights.

the existing turn signals are just not enough, to get cages off my a$$

D&D Fatcats 2 into 1, Andrews 54H Cams, Ported, milled and coated heads, 2.120 intake valve, Timkin Bearing conversion, SE Crank Darkhorse'd Plugged and welded, SE Cam plate, CR 9.8, SE adjust rods, Johnson Lifters, KB Pistons/rings matched w/jugs trued.
Twolanerider
Executive QC Service Advisor

My Ride 1:2000 FLTRSEI

My Ride 2:2002 FLHRSEI (home made)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 04:52:17 PM »

I am being lazy and wanted to know if there was an easy way to wire my pack lights as turn signals in addition to the brakes lights?

right now they are just brake lights.

the existing turn signals are just not enough, to get cages off my a$$

Jeff, which tour pak lights?  Side lights or spoiler lights?  I ask because the side lights are just single function marker lights.  The spoiler light is a dual function tail light and brake light but it has no side to side distinction for turn signals.  So not sure which ones you're thinking about changing.
Keats
Service Advisor

My Youngest

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 05:59:39 PM »

Jeff, which tour pak lights?  Side lights or spoiler lights?  I ask because the side lights are just single function marker lights.  The spoiler light is a dual function tail light and brake light but it has no side to side distinction for turn signals.  So not sure which ones you're thinking about changing.

I think what you are calling spoiler lights.

the side lights are low on the pack rt and left side.
(always on and no function except on)

the lights are basically 1157 bulbs that double as brake lights.
I changed them to modulated brake lights (Kuryakyn)

They are great as running/brake lights but would be even better if they functioned as turn signals also.

There has to be someone out there that has done this?

D&D Fatcats 2 into 1, Andrews 54H Cams, Ported, milled and coated heads, 2.120 intake valve, Timkin Bearing conversion, SE Crank Darkhorse'd Plugged and welded, SE Cam plate, CR 9.8, SE adjust rods, Johnson Lifters, KB Pistons/rings matched w/jugs trued.
Twolanerider

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 06:33:06 PM »

Ok, got it.  Not the spoiler light (that's the wing thingy up on top if it's been added) but the Ultra rear lights in the body of the tour pak.  You've got a problem that makes this not as simple a proposition as it might be on other types of vehicles.

On the rear of your Harleys the brake light and turn signals aren't on the same wire.  They never are.

On a car the split for rear brakes lights and rear turn signals happens in the steering column at the turn signal switch.  That switch separates the turn signal functions to four corners and the brakes lights to two and isolates out one rear corner's brake light when that same rear corner's turn signal comes on.  Because of that a single wire to the rear can carry both the brake light and the turn signal.

The 1157 bulbs are a dual element bulb (two bulbs in one).  So one side (the brighter element) gets the brake light and turn signal feed.  The other element gets the running light feed.  That works fine with the turn signal switch separating the brake light and turn signal feeds before they jump on that wire to the rear of the car.

On the bikes they are never managed this way.  Always separate runs.  So if you put a turn signal feed and a brake light feed to the same bulb it won't blink when you hit the brakes.  Not the turn signal feed isn't going to the bulb.  But at the same time the brake light feed is also.  And it's hot all the time.  So the bulb never turns off.

This means that with stock wiring the brake light and turn signal and running light functions can't all be to the same two element bulb at the same time.  Can't ask two bulbs to do three chores that aren't isolated.

From Badlands or a few other places there are modules you can plug in to your rear interconnect harness that do part of what you're wanting to do. They'll electronically do what the turn signal switch in your car does and intercept the brake and turn signal feeds, manage them accordingly, and let the turn signals function as brake lights also.

That won't help the tour pak without some other rewiring though.  The connector for the lights in the tour pak is not downstream of that interconnect point.  So the module would only effect the lights on the rear signal bar.  You'd have to rewire the tour pak connector and power it from a point at or beyond the rear light interconnect harness behind the battery.
Keats
Service Advisor

My Youngest

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 07:20:54 PM »

I knew this seemingly simple objective would not be easy.

To make matters worse I have the Kuryakyn Panacea system for tail and turn signals
so the turn signals have run (red) brake (bright red) and turn (amber)

I am wondering if I could but another set of turn signal Kuryakyn and wire the to existing Panacea system.

Twolanerider

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 09:44:26 PM »

I knew this seemingly simple objective would not be easy.

To make matters worse I have the Kuryakyn Panacea system for tail and turn signals
so the turn signals have run (red) brake (bright red) and turn (amber)

I am wondering if I could but another set of turn signal Kuryakyn and wire the to existing Panacea system.

I've never had nor installed for anyone else the Panacea setup by Kuryakyn.  So I'm the wrong guy to speak to what it might be now.  From what I've heard others say, however, the runs stay the same.  A management module (akin to the Badlands or other pieces of the same ilk) go inline and also function as a power modulator to fool the bike in to liking the LEDs.  If that's accurate the tour pak lights are still upstream of the signal to the turn signals. 

Don't get me wrong.  It's possible.  If we had the bike in front of us with some crimping tools and a deutsch connector or three we could make up what we needed relatively readily.  But it ain't no plug and play affair.
Miker

SoA # 1.77245385

My Ride 1:2009 FLHTCUSE4

My Ride 2:1935 VLD
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 06:49:43 AM »

http://www.ridetimetechnology.com/side_06.htm

Lemme know how they work out...

Nevermind
Keats
Service Advisor

My Youngest

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 07:20:10 AM »

http://www.ridetimetechnology.com/side_06.htm

Lemme know how they work out...

That is exactly what I am looking for.
a plug and play solution that all I have to do is write the check!

iski

Hold your ears folks, it's show time.

My Ride 1:2002 FLHRCI Road King Classic - Vivid Black - Traded

My Ride 2:2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded

My Ride 3:2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded

My Ride 4:2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 08:26:50 AM »

With the tour pack lights - do not know of a plug and play system from personal experience.

Would require a splice at the point where the Panacea system sends the signals ( turn as well as brake) to the turn signals by the tail light.

In other words, the same feed wires from the panacea system to the tour pack lights would have to be the same as the panacea feed wires to the turn signals, spliced in for a left feed and a right feed.  This would basically duplicate the signals are already sent to the existing turn signals by the panacea system.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 09:51:59 AM by iski » Logged

I like pie.
EBCM 007
Twolanerider

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 09:40:12 AM »

That is exactly what I am looking for.
a plug and play solution that all I have to do is write the check!

The link up there that showed signals was for the side lights not the rear lights Jeff (though I like have blinking side lights).  Not sure from their description that it's completely plug and play though.  Description said "Easy Installation - Plug-in & Connect Two Wires."

Since the turn signal feed must come from somewhere I'd bet those "two wires" are still the connection we spoke of earlier and will need to be taken back to the rear light connector behind the battery.  There they will pick up the left and right turn signal feeds (the "two" wires).  Elsewhere on their website they offer an interconnect adaptor.  A little plug that goes between the plugs that go together behind the battery.  It simply makes the same connection but leaves pigtails sticking out for all the feeds that pass through.

The same adapter gets used to add trailer wiring.  Very handy way to get wires to splice or connect to without having to actually cut or splice to the original wiring.  

That site had several really neat products.  I will now get soaked for their tour pak LEDs and may even do the signal conversion in to the tour pak also.  But no matter what lights get changed in the tour pak they're not going to blink unless the turn signal feed gets picked up somewhere.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 08:20:26 PM by Twolanerider » Logged
Miker

SoA # 1.77245385

My Ride 1:2009 FLHTCUSE4

My Ride 2:1935 VLD
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 09:43:39 AM »

As long as one of you drunkem menaci post results...And it does too show t/p tailights, you sot.

Nevermind
Twolanerider

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 09:53:49 AM »

And it does too show t/p tailights, you sot.

But not on the one.  Only on the other one.  Not the other other one.  Just the second other one.  'cause the first other one don't.  Dammit.
iski

My Ride 2:2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded

My Ride 3:2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded

My Ride 4:2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 09:54:27 AM »

This is the link to the rear TP lights from that site.  Wires on each light would still have to be spliced to get a left & right signal.

http://www.ridetimetechnology.com/tp_rtupro.htm

I like pie.
EBCM 007
iski

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 09:55:06 AM »

But not on the one.  Only on the other one.  Not the other other one.  Just the second other one.  'cause the first other one don't.  Dammit.

I understood that.

Something is wrong with me.

I like pie.
EBCM 007
Twolanerider

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 10:00:14 AM »

This is the link to the rear TP lights from that site.  Wires on each light would still have to be spliced to get a left & right signal.

http://www.ridetimetechnology.com/tp_rtupro.htm

Was just looking at those.  Those and the LED side lights.  Already raided the organizer tray where I keep all the spare deutsch, amp, metripack and other connectors.  Found enough pieces for a complete six pin deutsch.

Will simply disassemble the four pin deutsh that goes to the tour pak now.  Add the left and right signal feeds to it off my trailer harness adaptor.  And carry it right on in to the tour pak all in one nice neat six pin plug.  I'll have blinky chit all over the place Thumbs Up .
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: