CVO Garage
December 13, 2018, 10:47:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Garage is accepting donations for upkeep and maintenance.  Click the Donations Menu Tab to help!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cams  (Read 26752 times)
RedDevil
Unmoderated Documenter
Mechanic

It's All Good!

My Ride 1:2011 FLTRUSE - Silent Gray Fellow

My Ride 2:2012 FLHXSE3 - Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2010, 10:05:02 PM »

It seems strange to me that this wobble goblin makes an appearance after 30,000 miles. I've been riding this scooter, and all my other scooters the same way for years. It is upsetting that this can occur out of the blue.

I'll have the neck bearing and swingarm bushings checked and replaces as necessary. But how will I know it's fixed. I've never had it happen before so ....

JW

That's the sad part of this whole thing JW, not knowing whether replacing the parts will fix the problem.  Hopefully, it won't ever happen again.  I've never experienced a "tank slapper" and I hope I never do.

Flaming Devil

2011 FLTRUSE
Silent Gray Fellow
J-Carr
AKA: Oscar Diggs
Executive QC Service Advisor

That's what she said

My Ride 1:2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon Copper & Stardust Silver with SEAC, SSERT, and Fulsac 1.75" Slip Ons.  "Screamin' Nemo"

My Ride 2:1966 Road Queen Dori all original parts with some removed for better performance. "Screamin' Malinda"
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2010, 07:11:32 AM »

I'll have the neck bearing and swingarm bushings checked and replaces as necessary. But how will I know it's fixed. I've never had it happen before so ....

JW

That's what scares the hell out of me too!  If they find a neck bearing that's colapsed or a failed bushing at least you know there was something wrong.  But so often they just make adjustments and you have no idea if it made it better or worse.

I agree with Charlie that you wont see me on the high side of 100, but that doesn't mean a thing regarding the problem.  Today I had an idiot behind me who I needed to get some space from for safety.  I took it up to 75 or 80 to open up a gap and drove through a sweeper.  But the entire time I'm waiting for a wobble as it was less then that speed that I had one before.  In fact it was on the same turn but in the opposite direction!  So maybe I only wobble to the right since I'm left handed. LOL.  Regardless of wether we ride at Hoist speed or JC speed this wobble issue is frightening.

Let us know if they find anything.  I bet they don't.  If you don't tell them to pull the trees they don't really check everything that they should.

Ride Safe,
JC

Please stop the planet.  I would like to get off.
CaptVic
Shop Gopher

My Ride 1:2010 FLHTCUSE

My Ride 2:2007 Heritage Softail
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2010, 08:41:18 AM »

I don't know if this will help, but when I get my new bike I am going to install a true track and whatever else I can to stop the wobble. Angry
Hoist!
Monster!
Administrator

HBRRNYC!!!

My Ride 1:'07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED! +++, "CYBIL"!!!

My Ride 2:'99 FXR3, BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, 80" STAGE II EVO 5-SPEED! +++, "JOY"!!!

My Ride 3:'85 FXWG, BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED! +++, CVO STYLE!!!

My Ride 4:'08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR-BASED PRO STREET, BLACK, BOYCE FRAME, HOT 89" EVO 5-SPEED! VERY FAST!!!

My Ride 5:'09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE SOLO BATES SEAT & TIN W/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" STAGE III EVO 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2010, 09:02:29 AM »

I don't know if this will help, but when I get my new bike I am going to install a true track and whatever else I can to stop the wobble. Angry

Well Vic, I have a TrueTrack, and Traxxion AK-20 front end conversion! It still wobbled! I was able to make it wobble under certain conditions. That at least made it easier for me to control, when it did come on unexpectedly. A lil practice was helpful. Adding throttle and not braking helps get out of it. I've tried different tire brands. No help. Now I just added a TriGlide Steering Damper. We'll see if that helps or not. Not much else I can do except to take the whole bike apart and have the frame Blueprinted. I'm not about to do that at this point. This is an inherent flaw in the basic FLH/FLT rubber-mount design. Some frames are more "correct" than others due to HD's wonderful QC when making these frames. Seems close enough is good enough for them. Let's see if the damper helps! Feel better Vic!

Hoist! It's Howie

"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!!!"

Live Free or Die!!!

Zero Moderation Is Our Goal!!!

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"
iski

Hold your ears folks, it's show time.

My Ride 1:2002 FLHRCI Road King Classic - Vivid Black - Traded

My Ride 2:2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded

My Ride 3:2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded

My Ride 4:2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2010, 09:25:12 AM »

In 2011 the MoCo will address this problem with their new touring model the "Weeble".

Weebles wobble but they don't fall down....

Early paint prototype:

"If I could only write, I'd write a nasty letter to the mayor, if he could only read."~A Bug (Pogo)
EBCM 007
J-Carr
AKA: Oscar Diggs

That's what she said

My Ride 1:2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon Copper & Stardust Silver with SEAC, SSERT, and Fulsac 1.75" Slip Ons.  "Screamin' Nemo"

My Ride 2:1966 Road Queen Dori all original parts with some removed for better performance. "Screamin' Malinda"
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2010, 09:30:06 AM »

In 2011 the MoCo will address this problem with their new touring model the "Weeble".

Weebles wobble but they don't fall down....

You just couldn't resist could you?  And you knew Jim would do it if you didn't, right?   Hysterical Laughing  Hysterical Laughing  Hysterical Laughing

Ride Safe,
JC

Please stop the planet.  I would like to get off.
Miker

SoA # 1.77245385

My Ride 1:2009 FLHTCUSE4

My Ride 2:1935 VLD
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2010, 09:33:36 AM »

HD does not have the patent on wobble:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfscA6Ybd2o

Nevermind
Miker

SoA # 1.77245385

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2010, 09:35:25 AM »

And recovery...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Fa0GmdSN4A

Nevermind
CaptVic
Shop Gopher

My Ride 1:2010 FLHTCUSE

My Ride 2:2007 Heritage Softail
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2010, 09:43:02 AM »

Hoist I did apply throttle when it first started to wobble and it help for a little while,  but then it really got bad. I didn't apply brakes. I never had a HD wobble that bad before. Huh? I don't know what else I could have done to stop it.
iski

My Ride 2:2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded

My Ride 3:2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded

My Ride 4:2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2010, 10:19:17 AM »

You just couldn't resist could you?  And you knew Jim would do it if you didn't, right?   Hysterical Laughing  Hysterical Laughing  Hysterical Laughing

Ride Safe,
JC

After a couple of days & he did not take it there, figured somebody had to. Hysterical Laughing

Had the wobble once & must have been the milder version - on the 07 ultra.  Never had it on the RK.  It sucked, not sure why it happened except it was a windy day (?) & since it never reoccurred never worried too much about it.  I was well north of 100 when it appeared, and it was on decel only.  Accelerated some then carefully took it back down. 

Have had the new bike over 100 a couple of times & appears to handle a LOT better.  Frame & suspension are better no doubt.  Wonder if it is more bike specific or situational?

"If I could only write, I'd write a nasty letter to the mayor, if he could only read."~A Bug (Pogo)
EBCM 007
iski

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2010, 10:23:44 AM »

Seems to be a 2 wheel phenom, not only HD. 

I could ride like that too, if I had been born different.

EBCM 007
Hoist!
Monster!
Administrator

HBRRNYC!!!

My Ride 1:'07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED! +++, "CYBIL"!!!

My Ride 2:'99 FXR3, BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, 80" STAGE II EVO 5-SPEED! +++, "JOY"!!!

My Ride 3:'85 FXWG, BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED! +++, CVO STYLE!!!

My Ride 4:'08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR-BASED PRO STREET, BLACK, BOYCE FRAME, HOT 89" EVO 5-SPEED! VERY FAST!!!

My Ride 5:'09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE SOLO BATES SEAT & TIN W/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" STAGE III EVO 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2010, 10:40:03 AM »

Hoist I did apply throttle when it first started to wobble and it help for a little while,  but then it really got bad. I didn't apply brakes. I never had a HD wobble that bad before. Huh? I don't know what else I could have done to stop it.

Not much more you could'a done Vic. Apply some throttle, give the bars a lil yank to try to pull it out. Keep doing something and hope it stops before you get thrown off. I find that by being able to predict the wobble, allows me to not ride there as often as possible! Wink

Seems to be a 2 wheel phenom, not only HD. 

I could ride like that too, if I had been born different.

That it is Mike! Had it on my '95 Dyna Convertible too. Also a de-raked model at 28 deg. And that's with a tall 39mm narrow glide front end. FL's have a smaller 26deg rake. You need more rake to be stable at straight line high speeds. The TrueTrack will help with the rear wheel steering issues, which seem to be better with the '09+ frames. But they've done NOTHING to account for/correct the front end high speed wobble at all! That's why I'm hoping the damper helps there. Because so far, nothing else has helped that! Express Angry

Hoist! It's Howie

"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!!!"

Live Free or Die!!!

Zero Moderation Is Our Goal!!!

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"
Miker

SoA # 1.77245385

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2010, 11:24:31 AM »

The weak front forks at the steeper rake cannot stay rigid with the force of rotational mass "pushing" on them, thats why you get it at decel...They flex as the force from the engine internals, rider, rear wheel and glare, dyna beads and nitrogen go forward in acceleration and the front end does not, it becomes unstable.  

We call it the "momentum of inertia" or "rotational inertia" in my business, very bad with 15-30 ton combustion turbine spinning at 5150 rpm and generators at 3600 rpm... Express Express Express and thats why my machines do NOT  Grin  have front forks... Maybe Neracar was onto something?

« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 11:31:25 AM by Miker » Logged

Nevermind
Posty McPosterson
Administrator

My Ride 1:'07 Cherry Jester
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2010, 11:28:25 AM »

The weak front forks at the steeper rake cannot stay rigid with the force of rotational mass "pushing" on them, thats why you get it at decel...They flex as the force from the engine internals, rider, rear wheel and glare, dyna beads and nitrogen go forward in acceleration and the front end does not, it becomes unstable.  

We call it the "momentum of inertia" or "rotational inertia" in my business, very bad with 15-30 ton combustion turbine spinning at 5150 rpm and generators at 3600 rpm... Express Express Express and thats why my machines do have front forks... Maybe Neracar was onto something?

Man, you sure know your forks

"A good wife always forgives her husband when she's wrong"
iski

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2010, 11:40:56 AM »

Howie - Never experienced this on another bike - the old bikes were either slower or made better.

EBCM 007
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: