CVO Garage
August 20, 2018, 03:38:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Garage is accepting donations for upkeep and maintenance.  Click the Donations Menu Tab to help!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tensioners  (Read 4456 times)
Miker
Executive QC Service Advisor

SoA # 1.77245385

My Ride 1:2009 FLHTCUSE4

My Ride 2:1935 VLD
« on: April 29, 2010, 02:05:37 PM »

Bastiges....same chit for years...

Nevermind
Hoist!
Monster!
Administrator

HBRRNYC!!!

My Ride 1:'07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED! +++, "CYBIL"!!!

My Ride 2:'99 FXR3, BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, 80" STAGE II EVO 5-SPEED! +++, "JOY"!!!

My Ride 3:'85 FXWG, BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED! +++, CVO STYLE!!!

My Ride 4:'08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR-BASED PRO STREET, BLACK, BOYCE FRAME, HOT 89" EVO 5-SPEED! VERY FAST!!!

My Ride 5:'09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE SOLO BATES SEAT & TIN W/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" STAGE III EVO 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 02:30:03 PM »

Bastiges....same chit for years...

Hmmmm........................that don't look good at all! My GEARS never looked like that! Nixweiss Nixweiss Nixweiss Roll Eyes Wink

Hoist! It's Howie

"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!!!"

Live Free or Die!!!

Zero Moderation Is Our Goal!!!

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"
iski

Hold your ears folks, it's show time.

My Ride 1:2002 FLHRCI Road King Classic - Vivid Black - Traded

My Ride 2:2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded

My Ride 3:2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded

My Ride 4:2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 06:37:59 AM »

Dammit.  Heard these new hydraulic tensioners were better than that.  More BS. 

Will see if I can get a look at the 07 when they tear it down.  Had about 35k on it.

I like pie.
EBCM 007
HRD-HD (grc)
Mechanic

My Ride 1:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 07:45:41 AM »

I guess 50k miles still beats the heck out of the 20k miles many saw on the old style tensioners before total failure.  And at least that shoe in the photo didn't have chunks torn out that tend to plug up oil passages and relief valves like the old style.  I still find it amazing that H-D can't do better than that, while the folks in the auto industry have been using cam chain tensioners for decades without all these problems.  Must be that cheap Chinese plastic that H-D buys at a discount.

Hate to base anything on one example, but let's say that the new tensioner system doesn't prove to be a huge improvement over the old crap.  With the "plus or minus whatever we feel like" tolerance on crank runout, gears aren't the answer either unless you want to spend lots more to tear everything apart and true/weld the crank first.  I think I'd rather just add an item to the maintenance checklist to inspect the tensioner's every 30k miles, it would be a whole lot cheaper and easier.  Or we could buy our motorcycles from a company who has a clue and actually cares about us.

Jerry
Miker

SoA # 1.77245385

My Ride 1:2009 FLHTCUSE4

My Ride 2:1935 VLD
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 09:07:52 AM »

Right on Jerry... Express Express

Nevermind
Luca Brasi

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 09:56:43 AM »

I guess 50k miles still beats the heck out of the 20k miles many saw on the old style tensioners before total failure.  And at least that shoe in the photo didn't have chunks torn out that tend to plug up oil passages and relief valves like the old style.  I still find it amazing that H-D can't do better than that, while the folks in the auto industry have been using cam chain tensioners for decades without all these problems.  Must be that cheap Chinese plastic that H-D buys at a discount.

Hate to base anything on one example, but let's say that the new tensioner system doesn't prove to be a huge improvement over the old crap.  With the "plus or minus whatever we feel like" tolerance on crank runout, gears aren't the answer either unless you want to spend lots more to tear everything apart and true/weld the crank first.  I think I'd rather just add an item to the maintenance checklist to inspect the tensioner's every 30k miles, it would be a whole lot cheaper and easier.  Or we could buy our motorcycles from a company who has a clue and actually cares about us.

Jerry

I bought my 1st motorcycle when I was around 14. Brand new Honda 175XL. I suspect that my last is going to be Nippon built too - - maybe 20 years from now, maybe 10 but it just seems like H-D is going backwards; back to the over priced piss poor quality of yesteryear. Senior management is totally out of touch with consumer demand and most likely has never taken a bike off the production line unannounced and without anyone QAing it to death ridden it 10k or so to see what the average consumer is buying. I'm not a big fan of my brother's Suzuki Boulevard, but I have a couple friends with Starliners and Roadliners I really like. The VTX platform is a great sales/marketing plan but I don't care for the looks. So maybe it'll be a Yamaha. Doesn't matter, we always called em UJM's anyway. Most likely LD willl always be in the garage - - like my Grampa's Indian Chief when I was little kid. Just sat there, nobody ever rode it.

B B
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 09:59:26 AM by Luca Brasi » Logged

A Brother Is a Brother -If You Can't Live It, Don't Say It !
JDOFLH
Shop Gopher

My Ride 1:07 SCREAMIN EAGLE UC
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 01:37:21 PM »

My 07 was taken apart at 28,000 miles on it when they split cases for new crank and tentioners looked like new and reused them.I think tech said they all have looked good on motors they worked on. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: