CVO Garage
April 24, 2018, 01:09:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Garage is accepting donations for upkeep and maintenance.  Click the Donations Menu Tab to help!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SOMEONE NEEDED TO START HERE, SO....  (Read 47157 times)
iski
Executive QC Service Advisor

Hold your ears folks, it's show time.

My Ride 1:2002 FLHRCI Road King Classic - Vivid Black - Traded

My Ride 2:2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded

My Ride 3:2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded

My Ride 4:2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 08:51:29 PM »

Have ridden RGs a few times as a loaner.  My opinion - great on the superslab, fun when you are stretching it out.  Ok in curves but have not gone thru mountain twisties on one.  Did not like as much (not used to probably) at slow speed stuff, especiallyparking lots & gas stations. 

I like pie.
EBCM 007
DJ56

My Ride 1:04 SEEG Pumpkin

My Ride 2:05 SEEG2 Candy Cherry

My Ride 3:07 Ultra Classic Black Pearl (not CVO)
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 10:21:48 PM »

Have ridden RGs a few times as a loaner.  My opinion - great on the superslab, fun when you are stretching it out.  Ok in curves but have not gone thru mountain twisties on one.  Did not like as much (not used to probably) at slow speed stuff, especiallyparking lots & gas stations. 

I'm guessing that was because of limited visibility around the shark nose?

Have you ever noticed that someone who is driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

RedDevil
Unmoderated Documenter
Mechanic

It's All Good!

My Ride 1:2011 FLTRUSE - Silent Gray Fellow

My Ride 2:2012 FLHXSE3 - Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 10:38:49 PM »

I've found that the SERGU feels, at least to me, more stable when driving at higher speeds.  And low-speed, parking lot type manuvering, the SERGU definitely handles better, due to the lack of the additional weight on the handle bars that the bat-wing fairing puts.  Don't get me wrong, my SESG3 handles great, but I think the SERGU handles, or at least feels like it handles, a little better. 

Flaming Devil

2011 FLTRUSE
Silent Gray Fellow
DJ56

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2012, 10:42:31 PM »

I've found that the SERGU feels, at least to me, more stable when driving at higher speeds.  And low-speed, parking lot type manuvering, the SERGU definitely handles better, due to the lack of the additional weight on the handle bars that the bat-wing fairing puts.  Don't get me wrong, my SESG3 handles great, but I think the SERGU handles, or at least feels like it handles, a little better.  

Flaming Devil

When you walk out to your garage to go for a ride, is there one that has more draw to it, or does it depend on a 100 mile ride vs. a 300 miler?

How about around big trucks on the interstate, or windy conditions?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 10:49:29 PM by DJ56 » Logged

Have you ever noticed that someone who is driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

RedDevil
Unmoderated Documenter
Mechanic

It's All Good!

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2012, 10:52:55 PM »

When you walk out to your garage to go for a ride, is there one that has more draw to it, or does it depend on a 100 mile ride vs. a 300 miler?

It depends on the ride.  If I'm going for a long ride and/or two-up with momma, then it's the SERGU.  If I'm riding by myself and just going out to ride for unknown time or distance, I'll take the SESG3.  I like the looks of both bikes, the SERGU has a more "elegant" look to it whereas the SESG3 has that low hot-rod look, plus the more pronounced color. 

Flaming Devil

2011 FLTRUSE
Silent Gray Fellow
DJ56

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2012, 10:57:51 PM »

Sorry, I edited in another question on ya while you were replying.

RedDevil
Unmoderated Documenter
Mechanic

It's All Good!

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2012, 11:03:50 PM »

Sorry, I edited in another question on ya while you were replying.

Not a problem with either bike really, but the SERGU seems to be less affect by side winds.

Flaming Devil

2011 FLTRUSE
Silent Gray Fellow
DJ56

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2012, 11:09:24 PM »

Not a problem with either bike really, but the SERGU seems to be less affect by side winds.

Flaming Devil

I appreciate your response Red Devil.  It had not occurred to me about the absence of weight on the front end making slow speed maneuvering easier.  I have no doubt the dash being so much further away would take some getting used to in any situation.  I gotta take a ride on one!

DJ56

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2012, 11:16:13 PM »

Plus the fact that the front fairing is stationary.  By the way, that is a gorgeous SERGU you have there.    Thumbs Up

RedDevil
Unmoderated Documenter
Mechanic

It's All Good!

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2012, 11:34:21 PM »

I appreciate your response Red Devil.  It had not occurred to me about the absence of weight on the front end making slow speed maneuvering easier.  I have no doubt the dash being so much further away would take some getting used to in any situation.  I gotta take a ride on one!

You really should take a ride on one.  Once you ride an RG, you'll wonder why you hadn't ridden one sooner.  The dash being farther away does take a little getting used to after having all the instruments so close with the bat-winged bikes.  But now, I don't have any problems switching between the two.  The frame mounted fairing, because it is farther away, gives you the feeling that you're riding a bigger bike and it doesn't give the "closed-in" affect that the bat wing does.

Flaming Devil

2011 FLTRUSE
Silent Gray Fellow
iski

Hold your ears folks, it's show time.

My Ride 1:2002 FLHRCI Road King Classic - Vivid Black - Traded

My Ride 2:2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded

My Ride 3:2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded

My Ride 4:2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2012, 06:30:31 AM »

I'm guessing that was because of limited visibility around the shark nose?

Yes.  Balance and handling were fine.  Just not used to the fairing and for me - a perceived lack of visibility. Not the bike for me, but that's why HD makes so many different models.

Great looking bikes and right off liked the high speed ride better.  Everyryone I know who rides a RG loves them.

With so many used bikes around these days, bet you can find a dealer willing to give you one for a day or so to take for a spin. 

I like pie.
EBCM 007
Luca Brasi

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2012, 11:21:58 AM »

Flaming Devil

I agree with a caveat. The RG's are still affected by cross winds but the effect is on the entire motorcycle vice the way cross winds make you feel like GOD just grabbed your handlebars on any batwing model. I've owned all three model "baggers" and the best all round model is the Road King. With a large recurve windshield (like a clearview) and a few other pieces you can put on or take off a Road King can easily be turned into a sweet cross country cruiser. And when the trip is done and it's just day rides you can strip it down to just the windshield or even remove that if you want. I've owned and ridden all three models from ocean to ocean by the way. My current Road Glide is the best of the three for long haul cross country riding (especially in rain etc) but you know it does get a bit beefy for the quick rides we make from Dago up to Julian through 40 something miles of tight twisties. And I never really liked the balance of an Electra-Glide. The bat wing just puts way too much weight on the handlebars making the front end feel like you've got a D8 Cat in your hands. I like the looks of the bat wing, just has a classic style to it but I can't say much about the handling that is positive.Just my opinion and no disrespect intended. I know a lot of you own them. Anyway, if I could turn back time, I'd have hung onto Elvis (the best Road King ever ever ever) and would not have bought my current Road Glide even though it's a really sweet ride. As is, I'm not unhappy with my RG, just saying that my recommendation to someone looking to go from a boulevard cruiser like a SuperGlide etc to a bagger would be to buy a Road King. UNLESS of course that person was seriously saying that they were going to spend the next couple of years riding around the entire country, coast to coast, four corners whatever and then I'd recomend a Road Glide. I would never recommend an Electra Glide or Street Glide unless somebody was saying things to me that made me believe they were totally into the classic H-D bagger look. The bat wing is a prettier fairing by far than the shark nose.

B B

A Brother Is a Brother -If You Can't Live It, Don't Say It !
RedDevil
Unmoderated Documenter
Mechanic

It's All Good!

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2012, 12:07:21 PM »

I agree with a caveat. The RG's are still affected by cross winds but the effect is on the entire motorcycle vice the way cross winds make you feel like GOD just grabbed your handlebars on any batwing model. I've owned all three model "baggers" and the best all round model is the Road King. With a large recurve windshield (like a clearview) and a few other pieces you can put on or take off a Road King can easily be turned into a sweet cross country cruiser. And when the trip is done and it's just day rides you can strip it down to just the windshield or even remove that if you want. I've owned and ridden all three models from ocean to ocean by the way. My current Road Glide is the best of the three for long haul cross country riding (especially in rain etc) but you know it does get a bit beefy for the quick rides we make from Dago up to Julian through 40 something miles of tight twisties. And I never really liked the balance of an Electra-Glide. The bat wing just puts way too much weight on the handlebars making the front end feel like you've got a D8 Cat in your hands. I like the looks of the bat wing, just has a classic style to it but I can't say much about the handling that is positive.Just my opinion and no disrespect intended. I know a lot of you own them. Anyway, if I could turn back time, I'd have hung onto Elvis (the best Road King ever ever ever) and would not have bought my current Road Glide even though it's a really sweet ride. As is, I'm not unhappy with my RG, just saying that my recommendation to someone looking to go from a boulevard cruiser like a SuperGlide etc to a bagger would be to buy a Road King. UNLESS of course that person was seriously saying that they were going to spend the next couple of years riding around the entire country, coast to coast, four corners whatever and then I'd recomend a Road Glide. I would never recommend an Electra Glide or Street Glide unless somebody was saying things to me that made me believe they were totally into the classic H-D bagger look. The bat wing is a prettier fairing by far than the shark nose.

B B

Gotta agree with your assessment on cross-winds Brian, as that explains the difference.  Having never ridden a Road King, I can't testify to how they ride.  (I've been a full dresser rider since 1985, and know nothing but faired bikes).  My nephew was a die-hard Road King rider until he decided to take the plunge and buy a Street Glide.  He bought it originally for the styling looks, but now since he's ridden it for about 3 years, he actually loves it more than he did the King.  My brother is a die-hard King rider, won't ride anything but one.  I think my Road Glide feels "lighter" than my SEUC did.  The SEUC felt top heavy, whereas the SERGU feels more balanced (could all be in my mind).  I do know that the SESG3, sans tour pak, feels a lot more balanced than the SEUC did.  I'm fortunate to have both bikes, I guess, and I love riding both.  Contrary to a lot of people, I do like the looks of the shark nose fairing, but also love the "classic" look of the bat wing. 

Flaming Devil

2011 FLTRUSE
Silent Gray Fellow
Posty McPosterson
Administrator

My Ride 1:'07 Cherry Jester
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2012, 01:33:07 PM »

GH traded his 08 SERK for an 09 SERG. He said the new frame a world a world of difference. For some, it takes time to find the right winshield on the SERG. Check with RobMay. Like Reddevil, he's had both frames and both bikes.

"A good wife always forgives her husband when she's wrong"
J-Carr
AKA: Oscar Diggs

That's what she said

My Ride 1:2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon Copper & Stardust Silver with SEAC, SSERT, and Fulsac 1.75" Slip Ons.  "Screamin' Nemo"

My Ride 2:1966 Road Queen Dori all original parts with some removed for better performance. "Screamin' Malinda"
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2012, 09:14:02 AM »

My big thing the times I've ridden Road Glides is the tight turns.  Now, if I do it right and turn my head, no problem.  It's a lighter front end and turns real easy.  But if I'm looking forward it really throws me when I turn and nothing moves.  I have to concentrate on focusing thru the windshield.  Which I should be doing anyway.  Overall, I've preferred the way the RG looks and handles so I will going to that next.  Or I will make a V-Rod into Road-Rod.  Either way, my next bike will be fixed fairing.

Unless I get a Victory.

Ride Safe,
JC

Please stop the planet.  I would like to get off.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: