CVO Garage
October 20, 2018, 02:10:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Garage is accepting donations for upkeep and maintenance.  Click the Donations Menu Tab to help!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What my not buying a'13 will get me  (Read 8457 times)
J-Carr
AKA: Oscar Diggs
Executive QC Service Advisor

That's what she said

My Ride 1:2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon Copper & Stardust Silver with SEAC, SSERT, and Fulsac 1.75" Slip Ons.  "Screamin' Nemo"

My Ride 2:1966 Road Queen Dori all original parts with some removed for better performance. "Screamin' Malinda"
« on: August 21, 2012, 02:45:40 PM »

Nemo will be around at least another year.  This year he got the Zumo 660 and Progressives front and back.  Next year's getting him LED headlight, driving lights, and tail light along with a tru-track.

If money goes well I may switch out some electronics and use the Zumo Bluetooth with the J&M integration.  Along with the iPod doc and eliminating the garbage bluetooth in the radio and also the XM which I will never give my money to again I'll have the entertainment system working just the way I want.

So I like the look of my bike better then the 13.  I like the handling as much as the 13.  I think I can make the electronic package better than the 13.  I'll have a few do - dads like the lights which will be equal to the 13 RG and better than the 13 Cuse34 or whatever number they're up to.

I'm not a speed guy so I have no need to make the engine go faster.  But If they disappoint me again in 14 I'll spend the money on a complete engine refresh (I'll be at 100k+ by then) including some mild cam work.

So all that leaves is the over under exhaust which I'd really like to find out if there's a way to pull it off.  If not...That one change won't be enough for me to buy an 09 with a 15 nameplate on it.

Ride Safe,
JC

Please stop the planet.  I would like to get off.
iski

Hold your ears folks, it's show time.

My Ride 1:2002 FLHRCI Road King Classic - Vivid Black - Traded

My Ride 2:2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded

My Ride 3:2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded

My Ride 4:2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 07:43:12 PM »

I will be looking in 14, but may wait until 15.  I did the LEDs - headlight and passing and LED Motolights.  Love them all long time. 

Would like a reliable Bluetooth allowing wireless helmets.  No interest in phone - just tunes, intercom, maybe CB.  Not willing to spend to upgrade on my 10. 

Figure 14 will be more changes.  Anny years are badges and paint, for 13.

"If I could only write, I'd write a nasty letter to the mayor, if he could only read."~A Bug (Pogo)
EBCM 007
murphy

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 08:17:56 PM »

I'm waiting on a never... had enough of the poor workmanship (crap) that the moco puts out... I'm gonna go out in my new shed, have a beer and think about my next bike... wait a minute....

Express
Posty McPosterson
Administrator

My Ride 1:'07 Cherry Jester
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 06:23:03 AM »

I went to a bike night last night.  There were several CVOs there.  One that really caught my eye was an orange '11 SEUC that was tricked out perfectly with the saddle bag lid speakers, speakers in the lower fairing, halogen headlights, and the larger fender and rear LED lights of the CVO street glide.  It's one of the few bikes that gave me a slight urge to reconsider keeping mine.  Then I went to mine to ride home and fell in love again.  Kiss

It's odd that I found a way to justify $34,000 for mine when I couldn't afford it but can't justify $17,000 (price after trade) when I can afford it.  Nixweiss Drink

"A good wife always forgives her husband when she's wrong"
Posty McPosterson
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 06:36:53 AM »

iski

My Ride 2:2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded

My Ride 3:2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded

My Ride 4:2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 06:44:27 AM »

By 2020 the MoCo may have Dr. Seus and Hello Kitty theme bikes......

"If I could only write, I'd write a nasty letter to the mayor, if he could only read."~A Bug (Pogo)
EBCM 007
J-Carr

That's what she said

My Ride 1:2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon Copper & Stardust Silver with SEAC, SSERT, and Fulsac 1.75" Slip Ons.  "Screamin' Nemo"

My Ride 2:1966 Road Queen Dori all original parts with some removed for better performance. "Screamin' Malinda"
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 06:44:58 AM »

It is odd how the price doesn't seem to be the factor it once was.  Although I could afford to upgrade to a new one if I traded Nemo, I'd much rather hold on to him and wait.  In a couple of years I can afford to keep him and get a new one... If there's one that interests me.  In '07 I couldn't really afford the payments on the '08 but with Malinda's encouragement I did it anyway.

In '07 I had a '99 that I was very happy with.  I'd spent about 5k in chrome and electronics and it did everything I wanted it to do.  I had a problem with an inner primary leak and a broken swingarm.  But that was it.  The '08 came out with stuff that just made me want it.  Particularly the ABS.  Plus it had the better injection, better stereo, and some other improvements.  But really probably nothing that would make someone want to reconsider a jester or watermellon trade for an '08.

So I guess my problem is that now being in a position of riding a CVO there's just nothing that excites me about a new one.  Wheras if I had a 10 year old standard Ultra I might be drooling.

Ride Safe,
JC

Posty McPosterson
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 06:45:36 AM »

By 2020 the MoCo may have Dr. Seus and Hello Kitty theme bikes......

I'm OK with that

iski

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 06:58:45 AM »

I'm OK with that

Have seen more than a few titty themed bikes....am ok with that too.

Each of us has a trigger that will cause us to buy or not buy.   If we are happy with what we have, and the new version or different bike does not create the need, we stand pat.  Sometimes it is no desire to spend the money, other times, for me, it is remembering how much effort it took to get what I got the way I wanted it.  And then there are guys who trade almost every year.  As long as mine is reliable, it will be a while before I really look.

Have some riding buds who have gone to BMW, then returned to HD.  The Gold Wings to me are fugly, but ride really well.  If the economy begins to recover, expect the MoCo will do very, very well as the older population decides to get some wind in what is left of their hair.  What we miss sometimes is the multi-generational aspect.  Our kid's generation at some point will want "Dad's" bike.   And generally, that bike is a Harley.  Buying an off brand for a lot of folks causes them to want a Harley even more.  I worked on Harleys as a teenager.  Never looked at buying one. But as I got older....

EBCM 007
J-Carr

That's what she said

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 07:09:47 AM »

Yeah, I raced Yamaha's and was actually friends in High School with the oldest Schaeffer daughter.  Boy did I insult HDs.  Her and I were friends but we'd have some ugly debates.  This was pre-evo and I still think my argument was valid.  However, as I got older I realized three things: One - Buy American if you want a job.  Two - Evos were great engines.  Three - You can't immediately have 1,000,000 friends on a jap bike.

So since '94 I've been riding Harley's and will not be switching to any of the current brands available.  Victory could woo me if they upgraded the controls and devleoped an ergonomic that worked a little better for me.  But I don't see it.  And I will never buy foreign.  Cause even if you through the "This bike is a much american as your HD" argument at me I still have trump card.  Which is "where does the profit go?"  Only HD and Polaris go to the USA.

I love the airbrushed topless amazon chick bikes.  But I couldn't ride it work.  I couldn't ride it my sons swim meets.  I couldn't ride it to the Boy Scout stuff when I was involved with that.  So although I like to look at them, to me they're American Chopper bikes.  Useless.

Have you guys seen the new show on History?  It's a spin off of Pawn Stars.  One of the "experts" is a custom car and bike builder.  Counts Kustoms.  Last night he took a Softy rolling frame and engine he bought for 2500, put about 5000 into it and sold it for 12,500.  The thing is that it looked very cool, very rideable, made the customer happy and still turned a nice profit without raping the guy because he's now a TV star.  I recommend the show.  Even though it's mostly cars and a pawn stars spin off it's not condescending or rude like pawn stars and the work they do looks outstanding and real world usable. A nice refreshing change for TV these days.

Ride Safe,
JC

waynel
Shop Gopher

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 06:35:58 PM »

Hey Jcar how do you like the progressives. Are they that much better than stock?
J-Carr

That's what she said

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 06:32:01 AM »

Without a doubt.  I love them.  I know many of the CVOers went with Traxxion Dynamics forks and Bitubo shocks and say they're better then the progressives, but financially they're out of my reach.

The package I have on mine now lets me taker right over to the floorboards at about any speed as long as the road is clear and dry.  It keeps the chattering from throwing the bike out of wack and kicking out the way the stock suspension does.

For regular touring they're much smoother and less jarring on medium bumps and almost completely eliminate the chattering road ripples.  But on the killer crater type bumps they seem to be more harsh and transfer a ton of that smack right up my back.  In PA there's a lot of that crap.  Fortunately I don't group ride much so I can just swerve all over the road like a drunk chicken and avoid them.  In a group... sometimes it's back breaker.  But when you ballance out the improved touring ride for the all but the worst, it's a postive trade off.

Installation of the shocks is a 30 minute job at most.  The forks area major undertaking.  I got free installation of the shocks at DelMarVa but the forks I did myself.  Because of a problem not related to the progressive forks I had a hell of a time getting the left leg out and ended up removing the inner fairing, cap, trees and my left pinky.  well the pinky's still there but it's a painful memory.  a 5 mound maul and a pinky don't mix.  At any rate, if you're not real comfortable working on a Harley pay a shop to do the forks.

Hope that helps.

Ride Safe,
JC

P.S.  Welcome to the site Wayne.  Stop over on the new member thread and introduce yourself.  We make everyone feel welcome in our little insane asylum here!

Miker

SoA # 1.77245385

My Ride 1:2009 FLHTCUSE4

My Ride 2:1935 VLD
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 08:28:13 AM »

Welcom Wayne....even changeing the fork oil helps the chitty oem front end...the oil in my 09 was not the same in each fork...and looked like dirt water...changing helped but I am putting in HD pn# 45500106 cartridges here shortly... Drink

Nevermind
iski

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 11:38:27 AM »

SE fork oil is much better. My 10 is getting more herky jerky as the miles add up.  SE fork oil standard in the SE touring boats?  Or regular fork oil? 

EBCM 007
Miker

SoA # 1.77245385

My Ride 1:2009 FLHTCUSE4

My Ride 2:1935 VLD
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 11:45:22 AM »

Redline 10 wt...more magical than allll the other oils cause it said so on the innynet...

Nevermind
iski

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 11:57:22 AM »

Redline 10 wt.  Even more gooder.  I believe all internetian postages 110% especially the ones with magical powers.

I wish the fork oil changing was easy, but according to my manual it is a biatch.

EBCM 007
J-Carr

That's what she said

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 12:40:27 PM »

With the stock forks or the HD Cartridges I don't know.  With the progressives the fork oil is just a lube.  No damping.  So it don't matter.  So sayeth the instructions from Progressive.  Very important it says not to over or underfill.  But just use the normal factory crap.

I might be paraphrasing.

Ride Safe,
JC

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: