CVO Garage
October 21, 2018, 10:08:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Garage is accepting donations for upkeep and maintenance.  Click the Donations Menu Tab to help!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: True Track Installed  (Read 8241 times)
J-Carr
AKA: Oscar Diggs
Executive QC Service Advisor

That's what she said

My Ride 1:2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon Copper & Stardust Silver with SEAC, SSERT, and Fulsac 1.75" Slip Ons.  "Screamin' Nemo"

My Ride 2:1966 Road Queen Dori all original parts with some removed for better performance. "Screamin' Malinda"
« on: March 07, 2013, 07:43:25 AM »

I haven't ridden it yet, but I finally installed the True Track I bought last fall from Dayne.  I'll let you know what I think about the ride this weekend.  I'm finally gonna get her out of the shed.  We haven't actually had much snow, but we've had coatings and freezing rain almost every week so the roads are always wet with a salty brine and I don't really want to turn nemo into a rust bucket.  since this snow missed us the roads and the weather look good.

The installation was actually even easier than I expected.  Except for the one lost allen socket.  Of course it was the size I needed for the oil pan.  But I cut off an allen wrench and dropped it into a socket so I could still tighten the oil pan bolts to the recomended torque.

The only catch was the right side frame puck.  Unless I missed it there's no mention of how you get it in there.  What I read made it sound like you just slip it between the oil pan and the frame cross member.  Nope.  Don't fit.  What I ended up figuring out was that I had to undo the wiring harness from the frame by the trap door and pull it up so I could slide the puck down in a verticle position and then twist it into place.  All those years practicing Rubiks Cube paid off.

Total installation time including tool cleanup but not tool manufacture: 20 minutes.  Even if I don't notice any difference it will be worth the price I paid for it used and the ease of installation, just in piece of mind when I go hard into a sweeper or have to back off in a turn unexpectedly.

Please stop the planet.  I would like to get off.
murphy

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 10:04:02 AM »

I've had them on my racing bikes, my experience is that they all work regardless of brand.

The general rule when it comes to torque specs and not having them: snap the bolt, then back it off half a turn.
J-Carr

That's what she said

My Ride 1:2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon Copper & Stardust Silver with SEAC, SSERT, and Fulsac 1.75" Slip Ons.  "Screamin' Nemo"

My Ride 2:1966 Road Queen Dori all original parts with some removed for better performance. "Screamin' Malinda"
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 10:20:04 AM »

Yeah, that's how we did the old GM engines.  But a HD is more expensive, so I actually torque to spec.

MIKEYTEE
Supreme Bourbon Judge / Posty look a like # 100

ASSHOLE and PIE go together. Uncle Mikey

My Ride 1:1999 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 12:24:23 PM »

I've had one on my Road Glide for years. Noticed the difference right away. Now it's to the point I don't remember how it used to ride.
Enjoy the peace of mind.
Mike
 Drink

A Vote for progress. Vote for Mikeytee for President in 2020. I'm running on both party's ballots!
DM #5,
Proud member American Asshole Party.
Miker

SoA # 1.77245385

My Ride 1:2009 FLHTCUSE4

My Ride 2:1935 VLD
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 01:01:21 PM »

I put one on my 07, it seemed to help with higher speed swepping turns, like the ones we don't have in Florida, well certain offramps can be sweepers I guess.

Nevermind
J-Carr

That's what she said

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 06:56:00 AM »

Put some good miles on the bike (finally!).  My thoughts on the True-Track are that it does make the bike feel more solid in a bang in turn.  One where you throw the bike wuickly hard over.  It seems to move solidly as one piece rather than being a little ambiguos at first.  On the fast sweepers it was definetly more straight.  By that I mean it held the line of the curve dead on with no wandering.  I'm assuming my riding skills haven't improved over the winter while not riding so I'll chalk it up to the True Track.

The thing I've heard that worried me did not happen.  Which is I've heard it transfers alot more vibration.  No difference that I could detect while moving.  While stopped I'm not sure.  I think a little.  But if I hadn't read that it would, I bet I wouldn't have noticed.

Having recently ridden a couple of '09 and newer touring bikes I'd say my bike with the Progressives front and rear and the True Track is now pretty equivilant in feel and handling.  Now If I could just figure a way to do a '09 and new exhaust on the '08...

So I'm pleased with it.  Especially since I got it at a bargin.  THANKS DAYNE!!!

FDAXE
Service Advisor

"The shortest distance is a waste of time"

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 08:47:50 AM »

I had the same results with the Ride Srt8 version. Just put it up for sale on the other site. I have a Baker oil pan and the original version of the stabilizers don't fit wit it.
J-Carr

That's what she said

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 08:53:52 AM »

Why did you switch out to the higher capacity Baker pan?  Cooler running or another reason.  And did it actually work?

FDAXE
Service Advisor

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 09:11:24 AM »

Why did you switch out to the higher capacity Baker pan?  Cooler running or another reason.  And did it actually work?

Figured one more quart doesn't sound like much but it was a 25% capacity increase. Was hoping for some additional cooling, oil life and something useless to spend money on, and it required a different stabilizer.

No cooler, and I still don't know why, but since installing the pan and a variety of other things I have a problem keeping my dipstick in under hard, high RPMs if the pan is full. SO I tend to keep it between 4-4.5 quarts.

Would not do it again.
J-Carr

That's what she said

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 09:52:09 AM »

Unfortunately Duane, that's what I've heard from the only other guy I know who has one.  No cooler.  No better performance.  No change other than it costs him more to do an oil change.  He didn't mention anything about the dipstick issue.  I have heard some other guys say it's happened to them, but all had stock pans.

Twolanerider

My Ride 1:1999 FXR2 (red)

My Ride 2:2000 FLTRSEI (redder)

My Ride 3:2002 FLHRSEI (home made and even redder)

My Ride 4:bought an Indian (hat)
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 12:16:29 PM »

I know three bikes with Baker pans and the stock dipstick.  One started puking the dipstick after installing the pan.  Never cared and no idea why.  So have nothing at all to add here.  Just wanted to raise post count by one while being totally unhelpful.
MIKEYTEE
Supreme Bourbon Judge / Posty look a like # 100

ASSHOLE and PIE go together. Uncle Mikey

My Ride 1:1999 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 03:03:23 PM »

I know three bikes with Baker pans and the stock dipstick.  One started puking the dipstick after installing the pan.  Never cared and no idea why.  So have nothing at all to add here.  Just wanted to raise post count by one while being totally unhelpful.

Good job!
Post count raised.
Mike
 Drink

A Vote for progress. Vote for Mikeytee for President in 2020. I'm running on both party's ballots!
DM #5,
Proud member American Asshole Party.
dayne66

My Ride 1:2012 FLHXSE3

My Ride 2:2015 FLD
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 03:08:29 PM »

Soon after installing it on my '08, I replaced the front motor mount 'puck'....seemed to tighten thing up a bit more. That puck sure does get stressed and fatigued.
J-Carr

That's what she said

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 03:11:48 PM »

Mine's only got about 15k on it.  After the truck tire tread snapped the rear mounts I did an anlignment and it was pretty far out.  The dealer suggested we replace it when they were doing some other work in case it got crushed at all.  But I will keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the heads up.

FDAXE
Service Advisor

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 08:04:53 PM »

Ahhh - so you never cared about my puking dipstick   Banging Head on Wall
FDAXE
Service Advisor

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 08:05:14 PM »

Soon after installing it on my '08, I replaced the front motor mount 'puck'....seemed to tighten thing up a bit more. That puck sure does get stressed and fatigued.

My puck gets stressed and fatigued too  Nixweiss
Twolanerider

My Ride 1:1999 FXR2 (red)

My Ride 2:2000 FLTRSEI (redder)

My Ride 3:2002 FLHRSEI (home made and even redder)

My Ride 4:bought an Indian (hat)
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 09:48:08 PM »

Ahhh - so you never cared about my puking dipstick   Banging Head on Wall

Sweet; now I've got to add two posts to my count.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: