CVO Garage
October 20, 2018, 03:07:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Garage is accepting donations for upkeep and maintenance.  Click the Donations Menu Tab to help!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oil leak & "new" heated seat  (Read 5046 times)
iski
Executive QC Service Advisor

Hold your ears folks, it's show time.

My Ride 1:2002 FLHRCI Road King Classic - Vivid Black - Traded

My Ride 2:2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded

My Ride 3:2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded

My Ride 4:2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« on: April 08, 2013, 12:22:22 PM »

The 2010 has a small oil leak.  Maybe the oil pan or the trans or somewhere north of that like the rear shifter bushing.  Dunno, have ext. warranty so letting the local shop figure it out.  Would not leak while sitting in the garage, only leaks after riding.  So oil needs to be hot prolly. 

Not related but am too lazy to start a new post for this...

Am in the middle of making a new heated seat.  Old heated CVO stock seat works fine, but bought an Ultra  stock seat for $15 a while back at a swap meet (that I like at least as much as the stock CVO seat if not more) & found some heated seat elements online for cheap so am taking the $15 seat apart to install.  Friend has an electric stapler so planing to use that to button it back up.

If anybody wants the link to the electric seat heating elements (from Hong Kong or China or some damn ricey place, let me know & will post.  Took about 3 weeks to get here.  2 friends have them installed already & they love them long time.

"If I could only write, I'd write a nasty letter to the mayor, if he could only read."~A Bug (Pogo)
EBCM 007
Posty McPosterson
Administrator

My Ride 1:'07 Cherry Jester
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 12:34:16 PM »

would you consider recovering with real leather? 

I got my bike back Friday.  The dealer that stores it is 25 miles away.  They take the seat off to get the battery out.  They put the battery on a tender for the winter and drop it back in on the day I tell them to have it ready for me.  THEY NEVER PLUG THE SEAT HEATER BACK IN!!  Banging Head on Wall Angry  I rode home in 41 degrees and couldn't use the seat heater.  They also don't bother putting the backrest back on which pisses me off to.

Good luck with the leak.  My extended warranty is up in January so I have one more riding season on it.  My oil cooler had a couple drips under it Saturday morning.  Same as last year.  I'm chalking it up to a messy oil change.

"A good wife always forgives her husband when she's wrong"
J-Carr
AKA: Oscar Diggs

That's what she said

My Ride 1:2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon Copper & Stardust Silver with SEAC, SSERT, and Fulsac 1.75" Slip Ons.  "Screamin' Nemo"

My Ride 2:1966 Road Queen Dori all original parts with some removed for better performance. "Screamin' Malinda"
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 01:00:59 PM »

I had my electric seat tear enough to annoy me last year.  Plus lots of cracks.  Even though I treated the leather.  I was lucky and found a '08 take off CVO seat for sale on Ebay.  I got it for 200 and the leather's good and the elements work.  I still have the original sitting in the to be used pile.  I hope to have it custom covered, but I keep spending money on other things I need or want more.  Those $15 elements would be nice in Malinda's bike though.   She'd love me long time!  So I'd appreciate the link Mike. Smiley

I replaced all three bike's batteries this weekend.  Malinda's was 7 years old and cranking slow in the cold.  Sean forgets to plug his in all the time.  And it's 6 years old anyway.  Mine was still good but at six years old I just felt it was time.  I can't say how I did it, but I got three batteries that are the same as those made for HD but without the HD branding and in a gray case.  Total for the 3 batteries: $190.  All I can say is if you look at Dekka's location on a map and figure that there are people I know... Smiley

Finally: I also installed the passenger hand rails that don't fit our bikes.  Why does HD say they don't fit?  Cause the factory drivers backrest mount doesn't fit over it.  And if you try to put it under it, it hold the seat WAY up in the air.  A few minutes with a grinder and a couple of extra washers and the hated leather strap is gone and I have an exellent mounting point for my Road Ready Pet carrier when it's done this week.  Couch Jumper

P.S.  I hooked my heated seat each of the three times I test fit the installation, just in case it fit properly.  It's not that hard to remember.  So I'd put a "hey stupid: don't forget the fricken seat plug" post it note under the seat and on the tank when you send it in for storage this year Jim. 

Please stop the planet.  I would like to get off.
murphy

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 01:12:53 PM »

Jackshaft seal commonly leaks in the area you've described.
iski

My Ride 2:2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded

My Ride 3:2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded

My Ride 4:2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 01:42:07 PM »

Could be the jackshaft seal leaking.  May know tomorrow. Minor leak - mostly just annoying.

Not interested in real leather but have looked at some exotics.  So far have had good luck with the HD stock pleather or whatever it is plus have a 12 year old Mustang seat made of imitation that looks great.  Lots of Armorall & lots of Doc Baily's leather black over the years.  Probably an oil change leak if it drops from the cooler.

Seat was $15.  Dealer had a swap meet & sold some takeoff seats.  Originally had thought about using the seat pan & getting it recovered with some foo-fooery, but changed my mind.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/heated-seat-kit-1-seat-install-round-switch-seat-heater-used-in-cars-motorcycle-/170792014316?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27c3ff51ec&vxp=mtr
Ebay $49.99 Buy it Now.  Mine got stuck in customs for about a week but arrived in perfect shape.

My understanding is that each heat panel (there are 2) can have it's length shortened, but cannot cut the width. Made for cars/motorcycles.  Both installs here have used the round switch with the kit.  No separate adjustment for rider & passenger.  Got a 4-way male Deutsch (sp ?) plug & pins so will match the existing plug in under the seat.  Panels install directly under the seat mat

"If I could only write, I'd write a nasty letter to the mayor, if he could only read."~A Bug (Pogo)
EBCM 007
iski

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 09:36:23 AM »

Found a very small hole in my stock seat, near nose cone, almost on front seam.  Stitched it up and will try to stretch seat to hide it when I re-staple it.  Think the frame underneath abraided it.  Will try some tape in that area to pad.

Will probably get to the other seat - install heater pads - later today.  Looks to be easy enough.

Oil leak update - in multiples.  Oil pan leak. Stator plug leak. Rear rocker box leak.  Shift shaft seal leak. Bike was also doing the compensator death rattle sound, new 09-A compensator.  Have ext. warranty.  Bill was $50 instead of $858.85.  Am about $600 from breaking even on ext. war.  And that ext. war. has been in effect for just about 1 year, since the bike is 3 years old.  With 4 years left on it, breaking even seems to be a sure bet.  

Rainy all day here. Good day to get the seats done. We were at a friend's home last evening eating steaks & then watching the un PC NRA Texas race, followed by a Tim Allen movie where he pretended to be Amish.  Had killed a bottle of B & B & some cubans by then so movie was very funny.  We got home at......3 hours after late-thirty.

EBCM 007
murphy

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 03:53:21 PM »

Buy a lottery ticket man.
iski

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 04:30:40 PM »

The His Most Royal Highness Nigerian Prince has not written to me lately, informing me of my significant winning rewards of multiples of US dollars, with only small deposit in good faith to be required.

A lottery ticket would be a better investment.

EBCM 007
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: