CVO Garage
July 18, 2018, 09:09:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Garage is accepting donations for upkeep and maintenance.  Click the Donations Menu Tab to help!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dry aged steaks  (Read 13640 times)
Posty McPosterson
Administrator
Executive QC Service Advisor

My Ride 1:'07 Cherry Jester
« on: January 07, 2016, 10:47:21 AM »

A local grocery, 4 miles away does it's own dry aging on prime cuts of beef.  It's on par with the very best chop houses when seasoned properly and cooked over charcoal.  I'm so obsessed with it that I will no longer order steak in a restaurant.  I belong to restaurant depot and also BJ's.  Both have whole loins of Black Angus cuts, prime or choice that would be perfect for my newest obsession.... 

Gentlemen, I give you.... The Steak Locker   It's Howie

https://www.steaklocker.com/

"A good wife always forgives her husband when she's wrong"
iski

Hold your ears folks, it's show time.

My Ride 1:2002 FLHRCI Road King Classic - Vivid Black - Traded

My Ride 2:2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded

My Ride 3:2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded

My Ride 4:2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 11:45:45 AM »

Unsee this.  Walk away, never remember this.  Banging Head on Wall

Damn.   lil couch jumping dude

Sure looks good.  Nope, never saw it.   Banging Head on Wall

Steak, dry aged.....Mmmm..........  Couch Jumper

I like pie.
EBCM 007
FDAXE
Service Advisor

"The shortest distance is a waste of time"

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 12:18:10 PM »

What time is dinner, I'll bring a case of Rheingold or Schlitz, or maybe even step it up with Ballantine  Drink
J-Carr
AKA: Oscar Diggs

That's what she said

My Ride 1:2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon Copper & Stardust Silver with SEAC, SSERT, and Fulsac 1.75" Slip Ons.  "Screamin' Nemo"

My Ride 2:1966 Road Queen Dori all original parts with some removed for better performance. "Screamin' Malinda"
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 01:05:10 PM »

That will put off a new piece of crap Harley for another year (cost of unit, plus the weekly meat purchase).

Please stop the planet.  I would like to get off.
Posty McPosterson
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 01:20:10 PM »

I'm thinking steaks a few times a year for 3 weeks and using it for meat curing too.

iski

My Ride 2:2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded

My Ride 3:2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded

My Ride 4:2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 01:44:54 PM »

I have plans to visit you during one of those steak weeks.   Drink Drink 

I like pie.
EBCM 007
Posty McPosterson
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 02:06:36 PM »

Stay tuned.  It's Howie

iski

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 02:17:38 PM »

Ok.

I like pie.
EBCM 007
Flyndyna
Drunken Master
Master Mechanic

I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off

My Ride 1:2007 FXDSE Silver/Black
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 03:32:16 PM »

Dammit, Dammit, Dammit, just convinced the missus to let me get a BGE...now I NEED...

Seriously, sounds incredible.
J-Carr

That's what she said

My Ride 1:2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon Copper & Stardust Silver with SEAC, SSERT, and Fulsac 1.75" Slip Ons.  "Screamin' Nemo"

My Ride 2:1966 Road Queen Dori all original parts with some removed for better performance. "Screamin' Malinda"
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 03:44:27 PM »

I have plans to visit you during one of those steak weeks.   Drink Drink 
You have to ride by my house on the way to Jim's.  Pick me up on the way by.

iski

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 10:32:50 PM »

You have to ride by my house on the way to Jim's.  Pick me up on the way by.

Ok.  Have looked at this trip a few times.  About 1,100 miles.  Or 1,800 kilometers. Again the metric system rears it's ugly head. If we let Jim know from your house the steaks should be ready by the time we get there.

Drink

I like pie.
EBCM 007
Posty McPosterson
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 05:40:39 AM »

Guests always welcome!  I paid that much for a wood swing set and spent a whole weekend putting it together. It was used a couple of years before being taken apart and burned.

Here's an in the fridge model that accomplished the same thing on a much smaller scale and will fit nicely in your man cave fridge.

https://thesteakager.com

J-Carr

That's what she said

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 07:27:00 AM »

Wow.  I think I'll be ordering that this weekend.  A little more research first, but that's a hell of a lot more affordable and I can stuff it in a beer fridge or the main fridge depending on where I need the space.  Perfect!

Mike it's about a 4 hour ride from my house to Jim's depending on traffic at a couple of spots.  Best of all it's almost all off the Interstate and on two or four lane state highways throughout the mountains.  Plus there's beer at the end of the ride.

I have a lot of very gracious friends.  But Jim is absolutely the best host you will ever visit!  Great beer, greater food, and the greatest company.

Ok Jim... Now can I have a day without spiders on my thread? Hysterical Laughing Hysterical Laughing Hysterical Laughing

Posty McPosterson
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 07:31:41 AM »

Hysterical Laughing Hysterical Laughing It's Howie Thumbs Up  Agreed...  Lips Sealed

iski

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 09:20:27 AM »

It's basically a box with a fan & a UV light.  Interesting concept.  Used to age deer back when I hunted.  Hung in a meat locker for at least 2 weeks before butchering, very tender, more flavor.  Not sure anymore how beef steaks are aged, used to see whole sides of prime beef hanging in some meat packing plants back in the 1980s when I was calling on that trade for my job.  They can get funky, green mold all sorts of weird colors.  Like aged cheese (worked for a cheese company 70s-early 80s) the mold & outer dried out crusty stuff is trimmed away prior to eating & sometimes before packaging. 

Dry aging a steak you will lose maybe 10% of weight or more?

Jim & JC would love to make that trip.  Not sure when though.  Is a possible car trip instead of a bike trip. 

I like pie.
EBCM 007
Posty McPosterson
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2016, 09:29:35 AM »

Dry aging a steak you will lose maybe 10% of weight or more?

All beef ready for packaging has hung for as long as 30 days.  And yes, about 10% moisture loss at 30 day dry age.  That's why it has to be in a vented but sterile environment.

J-Carr

That's what she said

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2016, 09:52:29 AM »

I remember seeing those sides of beef hanging to.  Then the theme from Rocky (Gonna Fly Now) plays.  Hysterical Laughing

Mike, car or bike matters not to me.  I can probably get a bike to ride and you can use mine if you drive as far as my place.  Worse case scenario I throw the dual seat back on Malinda's bike.  So either way we can ride of the weather's nice and that's the end destination or take the car if you're heading further or the weather sucks.

If we do the Buffalo GTG I'm planning on taking the camper up and spending a few days in the area as upper west part of New York is some very nice country and between wings in Buffalo and BBQ in Syracuse and the bizzaro land that is Niagara Falls there's plenty to make it a worthwhile location.

And of course Jim's beer!!!  Jim, you really have to ride down to PA so I can return some of the hospitality you've shown me.  We have the Yuengling plant tour and some other microbreweries in our area plus I think a distillery (not sure if it still there?).  I got a camper hooked up in the driveway so I even have guest accommodations!  And the Mrs.'s can talk nursing and drink wine on the dock.

New plan.  Everyone going to Buffalo from the south stop at my place on the way up (And Murph and Jim can ride down).  We'll do steaks and beer tours at my place then ride up to Buffalo for the GTG.

iski

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 01:37:28 PM »

Sounds good JC.  Summer works best since the wife is off work. We would prefer to ride, will see how it goes.  Niagara Falls is obligatory, figure it is a giant tourist trap with a lot of loud water.  I do not need the tshirt to prove I have been there though.   Grin

I like pie.
EBCM 007
FDAXE
Service Advisor

"The shortest distance is a waste of time"

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2016, 10:29:43 PM »

when  Nixweiss
J-Carr

That's what she said

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2016, 07:03:01 AM »

when  Nixweiss
we keep talking about it but it never actually gets scheduled.  One did sorta happen at BBs cabin but only three or four made it.  If we make it a long weekend and schedule one this year I actually could do it.

iski

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2016, 01:39:54 PM »

I could expand my Work for Food franchise if it is this year.  Could make the signs & appoint regional managers along the route.   lil couch jumping dude

I like pie.
EBCM 007
J-Carr

That's what she said

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2016, 06:01:51 AM »

Decided to hold off on the steakager a bit.  It just started shipping and it sounds like they're having some issues keeping it cold enough inside the box even though the fridge is at the correct temp.  My guess is the fans and uv light are generating a little too much heat.  I'll keep an eye on their forum and see when they get the bugs worked out.

Posty McPosterson
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2016, 06:31:46 AM »

Decided to hold off on the steakager a bit.  It just started shipping and it sounds like they're having some issues keeping it cold enough inside the box even though the fridge is at the correct temp.  My guess is the fans and uv light are generating a little too much heat.  I'll keep an eye on their forum and see when they get the bugs worked out.

Thumbs Up It's Howie Popcorn

iski

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2016, 02:19:15 PM »

Almost old enough to drive...

Get a 15-year-old steak for $3,200

http://www.sfgate.com/food/article/This-15-year-old-steak-will-cost-you-3-200-6670769.php

You can keep your Kobe beef and that Wagyu is almost worthless, at least when compared to a line of aged steaks being offered up by a French butcher for unprecedented prices.
As CNN first reported, a sixth-generation steak purveyor named Alexandre Polmard is offering up the most expensive red meat on the planet. What makes the meat so expensive is a unique "hibernating" aging process popularized by his family.
"The way it works is cold air is blown at speeds of 120 kilometers per hour over the meat in a -43 C environment," reports CNN. "The 2000 vintage cote de boeuf (rib steak) can command 3,000 ($3,200)."

olmard says his cows - a breed known as Blonde Aquitaine - are also allowed to roam free and that his family takes all measures possible to assure that they don't live in stress, which he claims can affect the quality of the meat.
CNN has Polmard's detailed explanation of why the meat is worth your money. Believe it or not, there is a long wait list to try the products from his Paris shop.

I like pie.
EBCM 007
Posty McPosterson
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2016, 02:57:39 PM »

I watched this on Netflix last week.  In the global search for the world's finest steak it was readily determined that the French don't know what they're talking about.  The finest steaks came from Spain, from cattle that were allowed to gain weight slowly in a stress free environment for up to 15 years.  These animals weigh upwards of 4,000 lbs and shockingly huge, even on a video.  Dry aging is largely a newer American trend that all agree improves the product.  Of course, 15 years shatters everyone's business model to recoup the return on investment but as we've found out with good Bourbon, aging can only improve the product.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imtmykTAcBk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imtmykTAcBk</a>
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 03:00:25 PM by Posty McPosterson » Logged

iski

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2016, 04:01:54 PM »

When we had a calf slaughtered sometimes we would age the steak for chicken frying until that night, other times we aged it until the next day.  Better cuts aged for a while, but not more than a month.

Have never seen a cow that was 15 years old. Had no idea they would live that long.  Milk cows can go for 5-6 years sometimes more.  The meat from them is mostly used for hamburger though - not an easy life.

I like pie.
EBCM 007
Posty McPosterson
Administrator

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2016, 01:09:48 PM »

Well well well, now there's a gas permeable aging bag that works with your vacuum sealer to dry age loins.....

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXb9T2qHOJA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXb9T2qHOJA</a>

CCR
SEEG Cult Senior Member
Master Mechanic

My Ride 1:'05 Two Tone Cherry SEEG

My Ride 2:'98 Anniversary Road King
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2016, 08:26:49 AM »

A local grocery, 4 miles away does it's own dry aging on prime cuts of beef.  It's on par with the very best chop houses when seasoned properly and cooked over charcoal.  I'm so obsessed with it that I will no longer order steak in a restaurant.  I belong to restaurant depot and also BJ's.  Both have whole loins of Black Angus cuts, prime or choice that would be perfect for my newest obsession.... 

Wow, I did not think I needed new kitchen tools....
iski

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2016, 09:28:32 AM »

Do I understand this concept correctly - it is a plastic bag that allows oxygen inside (to allow aging to occur) through a portion of the seal?

I like pie.
EBCM 007
Posty McPosterson
Administrator

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2016, 09:49:06 AM »

Do I understand this concept correctly - it is a plastic bag that allows oxygen inside (to allow aging to occur) through a portion of the seal?

Yes. A gas permeable membrane that allows gas exchange and moisture loss but prevents bacteria.  It's Howie

The vacuum sealer provides the necessary surface contact with the membrane.

iski

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2016, 09:23:41 PM »

Yes. A gas permeable membrane that allows gas exchange and moisture loss but prevents bacteria.  It's Howie

The vacuum sealer provides the necessary surface contact with the membrane.

Ok, then why not use a regular vac seal roll, poke some pinholes in it on both sides, vac it to make contact with the meat, then seal it?

Or take a freezer bag, poke pinholes in it, push all the air out so the bag is touching the meat, then seal it?

I like pie.
EBCM 007
Posty McPosterson
Administrator

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2016, 02:10:51 AM »

This is like goretex. A hydrophobic porous membrane with 0.45 micron pours prevents bacteria but pin holes do not. Be a shame to kill your guests with botulism.

J-Carr

That's what she said

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2016, 07:39:09 AM »

Looks promising.  A little more research and I think I'll try it.

Posty McPosterson
Administrator

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2016, 07:56:00 AM »

Looks promising.  A little more research and I think I'll try it.

It turns out my local sausage supply purveyor has them in stock!  Couch Jumper Thumbs Up

http://www.sausagemaker.com/UMAi-Dry-Ribeye-Striploin-Packet-p/11-1624.htm

iski

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2016, 02:29:52 PM »

This is like goretex. A hydrophobic porous membrane with 0.45 micron pours prevents bacteria but pin holes do not. Be a shame to kill your guests with botulism.

Obviously you have not met some of my guests.

I like pie.
EBCM 007
Posty McPosterson
Administrator

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2016, 11:25:10 PM »

Maybe it's a way of improving a cheap piece of meat but I'm very skeptical that it duplicates the process. There are now 4 methods of dry aging cuts of beef mentioned in this thread for home use:

-stand alone dedicated aging refrigerator
-uv light cabinet with drying fan inside an existing fridge
-breathable membrane vacuum sealing the meat in existing fridge
-live mold culture innoculation of individual cuts

I plan to try the vacuum bags next time I go to the sausage store and will report back. The plan is to age a loin of boneless black angus prime rib, choice. I'll report here the results. I plan to weigh it after sealing then weigh it weekly and open it up after 10-15% weight loss.

iski

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2016, 11:54:20 PM »

Maybe it's a way of improving a cheap piece of meat but I'm very skeptical that it duplicates the process. There are now 4 methods of dry aging cuts of beef mentioned in this thread for home use:

-stand alone dedicated aging refrigerator
-uv light cabinet with drying fan inside an existing fridge
-breathable membrane vacuum sealing the meat in existing fridge
-live mold culture innoculation of individual cuts

I plan to try the vacuum bags next time I go to the sausage store and will report back. The plan is to age a loin of boneless black angus prime rib, choice. I'll report here the results. I plan to weigh it after sealing then weigh it weekly and open it up after 10-15% weight loss.

The cuts mentioned in the article were low far content, as I recall. Low cost stuff.  Interested in what you find out after trying the vac bags.

I like pie.
EBCM 007
murphy

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2016, 02:43:12 AM »

The cuts mentioned in the article were low far content, as I recall. Low cost stuff.  Interested in what you find out after trying the vac bags.

Ah yes.... the old "low far content" steaks... tricky to find but worth every mile of distance put in to track them down... not half as good as the "low far content" duck in my opinion though.

Hysterical Laughing
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 02:47:32 AM by murphy » Logged
iski

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2016, 07:03:12 AM »

Ah yes.... the old "low far content" steaks... tricky to find but worth every mile of distance put in to track them down... not half as good as the "low far content" duck in my opinion though.

Hysterical Laughing

Hysterical Laughing  Hysterical Laughing

Last time I had to go behind the meat market & down a trail that was easy to follow because of the splatter of Myoglobin that some people think is steak blood but it really isn't steak blood it is Myoglobin.  They do not hide well in the wild, the white tray plus the sun reflecting off the plastic packaging makes them easy to spot, to the trained eye.

The far ducks are much harder to catch because they quack aggressively when approached then fly away unless you are very quick or you are disguised as a bread crumb.

I like pie.
EBCM 007
murphy

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2016, 07:07:33 AM »

If God didn't want us to eat steak he would have made cows a lot harder to catch.
iski

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2016, 07:11:52 AM »

Cow revenge

I like pie.
EBCM 007
murphy

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2016, 07:21:03 AM »

Hysterical Laughing

Turning a cow into steak the hard way....

Bossy the Cow dying of unnatural causes.
Keats
Service Advisor

My Youngest

My Ride 1:2008 FLHTCUSE3

My Ride 2:2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2016, 01:05:35 PM »

I now have seen everything. you want dry aged? how about a plain refrig on a rack not covered. I age all of my rib roasts that way unless there is no time.

D&D Fatcats 2 into 1, Andrews 54H Cams, Ported, milled and coated heads, 2.120 intake valve, Timkin Bearing conversion, SE Crank Darkhorse'd Plugged and welded, SE Cam plate, CR 9.8, SE adjust rods, Johnson Lifters, KB Pistons/rings matched w/jugs trued.
J-Carr

That's what she said

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2016, 01:27:01 PM »

I now have seen everything. you want dry aged? how about a plain refrig on a rack not covered. I age all of my rib roasts that way unless there is no time.
As do I.  For 5 days to a week.  Any more than that and they seem to go from funky to foul.  Plus the smell makes the rest of the fridge a little unappatizing.  I've never been in a big commercial dry age refer unit but I have smelled an uncooked in trimmed steak that's come out of one it is distinctly on the funky side, not foul.

Not saying this would work, just that it's worth a try to see if the results are more in line with what I'm willing to butcher and eat.

Keats
Service Advisor

My Youngest

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2016, 01:39:20 PM »

If the average consumer spent any time in a dry ageing room, needless to say less meat would be consumed.
besides the funky odor and mold growing the dried up ends start to look like something out of the trash.

try looking at cured hams hanging, most people never realize how much mold ends up covering them.

D&D Fatcats 2 into 1, Andrews 54H Cams, Ported, milled and coated heads, 2.120 intake valve, Timkin Bearing conversion, SE Crank Darkhorse'd Plugged and welded, SE Cam plate, CR 9.8, SE adjust rods, Johnson Lifters, KB Pistons/rings matched w/jugs trued.
Posty McPosterson
Administrator

« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2016, 02:02:25 PM »

There's a documentary on Netflix about a global search for the perfect steak.

Yes, the exposed flesh of a dry aged loin becomes black. It's from desiccation, not rot. UV lights prevent bacterial growth. It's a controlled environment as much for safety as it is reproduceability. I'm starting to get into cured meats and joined a charcuterie club. I need a much better smoker with tighter temp control to do what I have in mind but I'll be doing things like bacon, capicola, pepperoni and some dry curing like salami. Mold is common in curing. In fact there's innocculums that you can buy for specific sausages.

iski

« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2016, 02:40:28 PM »

Yeah back when I deer hunted if we hung a deer cold for a month, the meat looked like hell. Have not done that in a long time.  I do the same deal as you on steak, leave in the fridge uncovered for a few days, out of the plastic & the diaper pad, let it sit on paper towels to dry some.  

Jim am not that far into sausage making, do not even cure the stuff I grind.  It is an art.    Thumbs Up

Back when I was in the Italian cheese biz we were as big or bigger than anybody in US for parmesan & romano styles. Also fontinas & asiagos.  After 6 months or more on aging racks, hard cheese looks like moldy crap.  Workers scrape & trim then some styles are wax coated, others are not.  The wax is a mold preventative (air lock), but cheese will mold under the wax sometimes. And the smell of a romano aging room is..... something you just have to experience.  It is so foul & rank, it almost smells good, if you don't puke.  Blue cheese has mold injected into it - edible mold.  Brie & some other styles have edible surface molds.  People mostly do not know, they just know what they think tastes good.  Trick is to eat the edible molds & not eat the inedible molds.  One tastes great, the other you maybe get a trip to the ER.

I like pie.
EBCM 007
J-Carr

That's what she said

« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2016, 03:51:42 PM »

There is a distinct difference between funk and rot when it comes to dry aging meat.  I've been to plenty of places that have real cured meats like country hams and salamis etc.  Sure there's mold.  Mold is no big deal when it's in the right environment.  But a steak just left to sit for a month in a fridge is probably not going to be on my list of things to eat.  I've seen true pre cut dry aged steaks.  I've see a steak I left a little too long in my fridge.  The smell is not one that I would confuse.

iski

« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2016, 06:12:36 PM »

I know that smell.  Nobody in their right mind would eat that.  Humidity has to be controlled also for aging, the descriptor is "dry aging." Hams are cured with salt.  Maybe red meat could be salt cured/aged?  Somebody else can try that.  I have dry brined steak a couple of days before grilling.  Ok, but did not notice enough difference to matter that much.

For some reason, nobody ages meat from poultry, and there is no demand for dry aged chicken.   Hysterical Laughing

I like pie.
EBCM 007
Keats
Service Advisor

My Youngest

« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2016, 02:25:23 PM »

Nobody lives from "dry aged" chicken to give a review.....

J-Carr

That's what she said

« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2016, 02:27:33 PM »

I thought they were to busy choking it to age it.  I know the nuns said something about burning if you choke your chicken.  Sometimes I think I shoulda paid more attention in catholic school.

iski

« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2016, 02:39:21 PM »

Speaking of chicken

Little Feat with Bonnie Raitt & Emmylou Harris singing backup
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R00LLqShdg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R00LLqShdg</a>

I like pie.
EBCM 007
dayne66

My Ride 1:2012 FLHXSE3

My Ride 2:2015 FLD
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2016, 01:39:35 AM »

Posty McPosterson
Administrator

« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2016, 06:13:21 AM »

Sausage Maker has free shipping today so I'm saving an hour round trip of driving.  I just ordered the red grinder (still on sale), a large amount of 35-38 casings, and the dry age seal bags.

iski

« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2016, 07:29:09 AM »

It's like Christmas in April.

I like pie.
EBCM 007
Posty McPosterson
Administrator

« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2016, 07:43:35 AM »

It's like Christmas in April.

first up, smoked texas beef sausage then spicy buffalo wing sausage  Thumbs Up  Couch Jumper

iski

« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2016, 09:49:42 AM »

first up, smoked texas beef sausage then spicy buffalo wing sausage  Thumbs Up  Couch Jumper

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Somehow I feel responsible & that can mean credit or blame, depending.....

I like pie.
EBCM 007
Posty McPosterson
Administrator

« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2016, 07:01:08 AM »

It's been 5 weeks and a day since I vacuum sealed a rib loin in the UmiDry bag.  It's lost about 15% of it's weight and is very firm.  I intend to cut it into individual vacuum sealed bags and save a big chunk to slice into thin sandwich steaks (depending how awesome the steaks alone are).  I may or may not share pics depending on my motivation.  Couch Jumper

murphy

« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2016, 11:59:46 AM »

Like you've ever had to be motivated to send pics!!!

Hysterical Laughing
Posty McPosterson
Administrator

« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2016, 11:08:14 AM »

OK, I just remembered that I did take a pic of the steak pile.  I got 6 very large steaks, enough for 1 steak to 2 people and sliced about a third of it very thin.  Some of it went on a steak pizza since we were discussing that.  I even put sesame seeds on the crust.  It was a white pizza with fresh steamed baby spinach, sliced tomatoes, lots of onion, pickled cherry peppers, mushrooms, and several types of italian white cheeses.  I took 4 of the steaks to Hogbreath's two weeks ago and between the four of us, we didn't even eat two.

Posty McPosterson
Administrator

« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2016, 11:09:13 AM »

ready for the oven....  475 degrees for 25 mins

Posty McPosterson
Administrator

« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2016, 11:11:32 AM »

I made a sauce for the pizza for when it came out.  It was basically A1, mayo, and oregano.  Of the steak sub challenge I'm doing, so far, the best one had a similar sauce

J-Carr

That's what she said

« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2016, 04:06:24 PM »

Really looks great Jim.  You might want to try sauteing the onions first and then add them to the pizza with the A1 sauce.  That's how they typically do it when you're getting a non-philly.  If you're getting a philly they cook the onions with the meat but they're usually carmalized to... well carmel.  lol.  gives it a sweeter taste then they'd get from the amount they're baked on top of a pizza.

Hogbreath
Master Mechanic

« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2016, 08:25:19 PM »

OK, I just remembered that I did take a pic of the steak pile.  I got 6 very large steaks, enough for 1 steak to 2 people and sliced about a third of it very thin.  Some of it went on a steak pizza since we were discussing that.  I even put sesame seeds on the crust.  It was a white pizza with fresh steamed baby spinach, sliced tomatoes, lots of onion, pickled cherry peppers, mushrooms, and several types of italian white cheeses.  I took 4 of the steaks to Hogbreath's two weeks ago and between the four of us, we didn't even eat two.

I et the ones you left. Delicious!
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: