CVO Garage
December 18, 2018, 08:19:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Garage is accepting donations for upkeep and maintenance.  Click the Donations Menu Tab to help!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dry aged steaks  (Read 19094 times)
Posty McPosterson
Administrator
Executive QC Service Advisor

My Ride 1:'07 Cherry Jester
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2016, 09:29:35 AM »

Dry aging a steak you will lose maybe 10% of weight or more?

All beef ready for packaging has hung for as long as 30 days.  And yes, about 10% moisture loss at 30 day dry age.  That's why it has to be in a vented but sterile environment.

"A good wife always forgives her husband when she's wrong"
J-Carr
AKA: Oscar Diggs

That's what she said

My Ride 1:2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon Copper & Stardust Silver with SEAC, SSERT, and Fulsac 1.75" Slip Ons.  "Screamin' Nemo"

My Ride 2:1966 Road Queen Dori all original parts with some removed for better performance. "Screamin' Malinda"
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2016, 09:52:29 AM »

I remember seeing those sides of beef hanging to.  Then the theme from Rocky (Gonna Fly Now) plays.  Hysterical Laughing

Mike, car or bike matters not to me.  I can probably get a bike to ride and you can use mine if you drive as far as my place.  Worse case scenario I throw the dual seat back on Malinda's bike.  So either way we can ride of the weather's nice and that's the end destination or take the car if you're heading further or the weather sucks.

If we do the Buffalo GTG I'm planning on taking the camper up and spending a few days in the area as upper west part of New York is some very nice country and between wings in Buffalo and BBQ in Syracuse and the bizzaro land that is Niagara Falls there's plenty to make it a worthwhile location.

And of course Jim's beer!!!  Jim, you really have to ride down to PA so I can return some of the hospitality you've shown me.  We have the Yuengling plant tour and some other microbreweries in our area plus I think a distillery (not sure if it still there?).  I got a camper hooked up in the driveway so I even have guest accommodations!  And the Mrs.'s can talk nursing and drink wine on the dock.

New plan.  Everyone going to Buffalo from the south stop at my place on the way up (And Murph and Jim can ride down).  We'll do steaks and beer tours at my place then ride up to Buffalo for the GTG.

Please stop the planet.  I would like to get off.
iski

Hold your ears folks, it's show time.

My Ride 1:2002 FLHRCI Road King Classic - Vivid Black - Traded

My Ride 2:2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded

My Ride 3:2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded

My Ride 4:2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 01:37:28 PM »

Sounds good JC.  Summer works best since the wife is off work. We would prefer to ride, will see how it goes.  Niagara Falls is obligatory, figure it is a giant tourist trap with a lot of loud water.  I do not need the tshirt to prove I have been there though.   Grin

"If I could only write, I'd write a nasty letter to the mayor, if he could only read."~A Bug (Pogo)
EBCM 007
FDAXE
Service Advisor

"The shortest distance is a waste of time"

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2016, 10:29:43 PM »

when  Nixweiss
J-Carr

That's what she said

My Ride 1:2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon Copper & Stardust Silver with SEAC, SSERT, and Fulsac 1.75" Slip Ons.  "Screamin' Nemo"

My Ride 2:1966 Road Queen Dori all original parts with some removed for better performance. "Screamin' Malinda"
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2016, 07:03:01 AM »

when  Nixweiss
we keep talking about it but it never actually gets scheduled.  One did sorta happen at BBs cabin but only three or four made it.  If we make it a long weekend and schedule one this year I actually could do it.

iski

My Ride 2:2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded

My Ride 3:2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded

My Ride 4:2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2016, 01:39:54 PM »

I could expand my Work for Food franchise if it is this year.  Could make the signs & appoint regional managers along the route.   lil couch jumping dude

"If I could only write, I'd write a nasty letter to the mayor, if he could only read."~A Bug (Pogo)
EBCM 007
J-Carr

That's what she said

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2016, 06:01:51 AM »

Decided to hold off on the steakager a bit.  It just started shipping and it sounds like they're having some issues keeping it cold enough inside the box even though the fridge is at the correct temp.  My guess is the fans and uv light are generating a little too much heat.  I'll keep an eye on their forum and see when they get the bugs worked out.

Posty McPosterson
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2016, 06:31:46 AM »

Decided to hold off on the steakager a bit.  It just started shipping and it sounds like they're having some issues keeping it cold enough inside the box even though the fridge is at the correct temp.  My guess is the fans and uv light are generating a little too much heat.  I'll keep an eye on their forum and see when they get the bugs worked out.

Thumbs Up It's Howie Popcorn

iski

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2016, 02:19:15 PM »

Almost old enough to drive...

Get a 15-year-old steak for $3,200

http://www.sfgate.com/food/article/This-15-year-old-steak-will-cost-you-3-200-6670769.php

You can keep your Kobe beef and that Wagyu is almost worthless, at least when compared to a line of aged steaks being offered up by a French butcher for unprecedented prices.
As CNN first reported, a sixth-generation steak purveyor named Alexandre Polmard is offering up the most expensive red meat on the planet. What makes the meat so expensive is a unique "hibernating" aging process popularized by his family.
"The way it works is cold air is blown at speeds of 120 kilometers per hour over the meat in a -43 C environment," reports CNN. "The 2000 vintage cote de boeuf (rib steak) can command 3,000 ($3,200)."

olmard says his cows - a breed known as Blonde Aquitaine - are also allowed to roam free and that his family takes all measures possible to assure that they don't live in stress, which he claims can affect the quality of the meat.
CNN has Polmard's detailed explanation of why the meat is worth your money. Believe it or not, there is a long wait list to try the products from his Paris shop.

EBCM 007
Posty McPosterson
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2016, 02:57:39 PM »

I watched this on Netflix last week.  In the global search for the world's finest steak it was readily determined that the French don't know what they're talking about.  The finest steaks came from Spain, from cattle that were allowed to gain weight slowly in a stress free environment for up to 15 years.  These animals weigh upwards of 4,000 lbs and shockingly huge, even on a video.  Dry aging is largely a newer American trend that all agree improves the product.  Of course, 15 years shatters everyone's business model to recoup the return on investment but as we've found out with good Bourbon, aging can only improve the product.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imtmykTAcBk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imtmykTAcBk</a>
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 03:00:25 PM by Posty McPosterson » Logged

iski

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2016, 04:01:54 PM »

When we had a calf slaughtered sometimes we would age the steak for chicken frying until that night, other times we aged it until the next day.  Better cuts aged for a while, but not more than a month.

Have never seen a cow that was 15 years old. Had no idea they would live that long.  Milk cows can go for 5-6 years sometimes more.  The meat from them is mostly used for hamburger though - not an easy life.

EBCM 007
Posty McPosterson
Administrator

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2016, 01:09:48 PM »

Well well well, now there's a gas permeable aging bag that works with your vacuum sealer to dry age loins.....

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXb9T2qHOJA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXb9T2qHOJA</a>

CCR
SEEG Cult Senior Member
Master Mechanic

My Ride 1:'05 Two Tone Cherry SEEG

My Ride 2:'98 Anniversary Road King
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2016, 08:26:49 AM »

A local grocery, 4 miles away does it's own dry aging on prime cuts of beef.  It's on par with the very best chop houses when seasoned properly and cooked over charcoal.  I'm so obsessed with it that I will no longer order steak in a restaurant.  I belong to restaurant depot and also BJ's.  Both have whole loins of Black Angus cuts, prime or choice that would be perfect for my newest obsession.... 

Gentlemen, I give you.... The Steak Locker   It's Howie

https://www.steaklocker.com/

Wow, I did not think I needed new kitchen tools....
iski

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2016, 09:28:32 AM »

Do I understand this concept correctly - it is a plastic bag that allows oxygen inside (to allow aging to occur) through a portion of the seal?

EBCM 007
Posty McPosterson
Administrator

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2016, 09:49:06 AM »

Do I understand this concept correctly - it is a plastic bag that allows oxygen inside (to allow aging to occur) through a portion of the seal?

Yes. A gas permeable membrane that allows gas exchange and moisture loss but prevents bacteria.  It's Howie

The vacuum sealer provides the necessary surface contact with the membrane.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: