CVO Garage
December 18, 2018, 08:17:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Garage is accepting donations for upkeep and maintenance.  Click the Donations Menu Tab to help!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dry aged steaks  (Read 19093 times)
iski
Executive QC Service Advisor

Hold your ears folks, it's show time.

My Ride 1:2002 FLHRCI Road King Classic - Vivid Black - Traded

My Ride 2:2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded

My Ride 3:2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded

My Ride 4:2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2016, 09:23:41 PM »

Yes. A gas permeable membrane that allows gas exchange and moisture loss but prevents bacteria.  It's Howie

The vacuum sealer provides the necessary surface contact with the membrane.

Ok, then why not use a regular vac seal roll, poke some pinholes in it on both sides, vac it to make contact with the meat, then seal it?

Or take a freezer bag, poke pinholes in it, push all the air out so the bag is touching the meat, then seal it?

"If I could only write, I'd write a nasty letter to the mayor, if he could only read."~A Bug (Pogo)
EBCM 007
Posty McPosterson
Administrator

My Ride 1:'07 Cherry Jester
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2016, 02:10:51 AM »

This is like goretex. A hydrophobic porous membrane with 0.45 micron pours prevents bacteria but pin holes do not. Be a shame to kill your guests with botulism.

"A good wife always forgives her husband when she's wrong"
J-Carr
AKA: Oscar Diggs

That's what she said

My Ride 1:2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon Copper & Stardust Silver with SEAC, SSERT, and Fulsac 1.75" Slip Ons.  "Screamin' Nemo"

My Ride 2:1966 Road Queen Dori all original parts with some removed for better performance. "Screamin' Malinda"
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2016, 07:39:09 AM »

Looks promising.  A little more research and I think I'll try it.

Please stop the planet.  I would like to get off.
Posty McPosterson
Administrator

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2016, 07:56:00 AM »

Looks promising.  A little more research and I think I'll try it.

It turns out my local sausage supply purveyor has them in stock!  Couch Jumper Thumbs Up

http://www.sausagemaker.com/UMAi-Dry-Ribeye-Striploin-Packet-p/11-1624.htm

iski

My Ride 2:2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded

My Ride 3:2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded

My Ride 4:2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2016, 02:29:52 PM »

This is like goretex. A hydrophobic porous membrane with 0.45 micron pours prevents bacteria but pin holes do not. Be a shame to kill your guests with botulism.

Obviously you have not met some of my guests.

"If I could only write, I'd write a nasty letter to the mayor, if he could only read."~A Bug (Pogo)
EBCM 007
Posty McPosterson
Administrator

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2016, 11:25:10 PM »

Maybe it's a way of improving a cheap piece of meat but I'm very skeptical that it duplicates the process. There are now 4 methods of dry aging cuts of beef mentioned in this thread for home use:

-stand alone dedicated aging refrigerator
-uv light cabinet with drying fan inside an existing fridge
-breathable membrane vacuum sealing the meat in existing fridge
-live mold culture innoculation of individual cuts

I plan to try the vacuum bags next time I go to the sausage store and will report back. The plan is to age a loin of boneless black angus prime rib, choice. I'll report here the results. I plan to weigh it after sealing then weigh it weekly and open it up after 10-15% weight loss.

iski

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2016, 11:54:20 PM »

Maybe it's a way of improving a cheap piece of meat but I'm very skeptical that it duplicates the process. There are now 4 methods of dry aging cuts of beef mentioned in this thread for home use:

-stand alone dedicated aging refrigerator
-uv light cabinet with drying fan inside an existing fridge
-breathable membrane vacuum sealing the meat in existing fridge
-live mold culture innoculation of individual cuts

I plan to try the vacuum bags next time I go to the sausage store and will report back. The plan is to age a loin of boneless black angus prime rib, choice. I'll report here the results. I plan to weigh it after sealing then weigh it weekly and open it up after 10-15% weight loss.

The cuts mentioned in the article were low far content, as I recall. Low cost stuff.  Interested in what you find out after trying the vac bags.

EBCM 007
murphy

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2016, 02:43:12 AM »

The cuts mentioned in the article were low far content, as I recall. Low cost stuff.  Interested in what you find out after trying the vac bags.

Ah yes.... the old "low far content" steaks... tricky to find but worth every mile of distance put in to track them down... not half as good as the "low far content" duck in my opinion though.

Hysterical Laughing
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 02:47:32 AM by murphy » Logged
iski

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2016, 07:03:12 AM »

Ah yes.... the old "low far content" steaks... tricky to find but worth every mile of distance put in to track them down... not half as good as the "low far content" duck in my opinion though.

Hysterical Laughing

Hysterical Laughing  Hysterical Laughing

Last time I had to go behind the meat market & down a trail that was easy to follow because of the splatter of Myoglobin that some people think is steak blood but it really isn't steak blood it is Myoglobin.  They do not hide well in the wild, the white tray plus the sun reflecting off the plastic packaging makes them easy to spot, to the trained eye.

The far ducks are much harder to catch because they quack aggressively when approached then fly away unless you are very quick or you are disguised as a bread crumb.

EBCM 007
murphy

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2016, 07:07:33 AM »

If God didn't want us to eat steak he would have made cows a lot harder to catch.
iski

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2016, 07:11:52 AM »

Cow revenge

EBCM 007
murphy

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2016, 07:21:03 AM »

Hysterical Laughing

Turning a cow into steak the hard way....

Bossy the Cow dying of unnatural causes.
Keats
Service Advisor

My Youngest

My Ride 1:2008 FLHTCUSE3

My Ride 2:2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2016, 01:05:35 PM »

A local grocery, 4 miles away does it's own dry aging on prime cuts of beef.  It's on par with the very best chop houses when seasoned properly and cooked over charcoal.  I'm so obsessed with it that I will no longer order steak in a restaurant.  I belong to restaurant depot and also BJ's.  Both have whole loins of Black Angus cuts, prime or choice that would be perfect for my newest obsession.... 

Gentlemen, I give you.... The Steak Locker   It's Howie

https://www.steaklocker.com/

I now have seen everything. you want dry aged? how about a plain refrig on a rack not covered. I age all of my rib roasts that way unless there is no time.

D&D Fatcats 2 into 1, Andrews 54H Cams, Ported, milled and coated heads, 2.120 intake valve, Timkin Bearing conversion, SE Crank Darkhorse'd Plugged and welded, SE Cam plate, CR 9.8, SE adjust rods, Johnson Lifters, KB Pistons/rings matched w/jugs trued.
J-Carr
AKA: Oscar Diggs

That's what she said

My Ride 1:2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon Copper & Stardust Silver with SEAC, SSERT, and Fulsac 1.75" Slip Ons.  "Screamin' Nemo"

My Ride 2:1966 Road Queen Dori all original parts with some removed for better performance. "Screamin' Malinda"
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2016, 01:27:01 PM »

I now have seen everything. you want dry aged? how about a plain refrig on a rack not covered. I age all of my rib roasts that way unless there is no time.
As do I.  For 5 days to a week.  Any more than that and they seem to go from funky to foul.  Plus the smell makes the rest of the fridge a little unappatizing.  I've never been in a big commercial dry age refer unit but I have smelled an uncooked in trimmed steak that's come out of one it is distinctly on the funky side, not foul.

Not saying this would work, just that it's worth a try to see if the results are more in line with what I'm willing to butcher and eat.

Please stop the planet.  I would like to get off.
Keats
Service Advisor

My Youngest

My Ride 1:2008 FLHTCUSE3

My Ride 2:2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2016, 01:39:20 PM »

If the average consumer spent any time in a dry ageing room, needless to say less meat would be consumed.
besides the funky odor and mold growing the dried up ends start to look like something out of the trash.

try looking at cured hams hanging, most people never realize how much mold ends up covering them.

D&D Fatcats 2 into 1, Andrews 54H Cams, Ported, milled and coated heads, 2.120 intake valve, Timkin Bearing conversion, SE Crank Darkhorse'd Plugged and welded, SE Cam plate, CR 9.8, SE adjust rods, Johnson Lifters, KB Pistons/rings matched w/jugs trued.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: