CVO Garage
April 25, 2018, 04:58:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Garage is accepting donations for upkeep and maintenance.  Click the Donations Menu Tab to help!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dry aged steaks  (Read 11784 times)
Posty McPosterson
Administrator
Executive QC Service Advisor

My Ride 1:'07 Cherry Jester
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2016, 02:02:25 PM »

There's a documentary on Netflix about a global search for the perfect steak.

Yes, the exposed flesh of a dry aged loin becomes black. It's from desiccation, not rot. UV lights prevent bacterial growth. It's a controlled environment as much for safety as it is reproduceability. I'm starting to get into cured meats and joined a charcuterie club. I need a much better smoker with tighter temp control to do what I have in mind but I'll be doing things like bacon, capicola, pepperoni and some dry curing like salami. Mold is common in curing. In fact there's innocculums that you can buy for specific sausages.

"A good wife always forgives her husband when she's wrong"
iski

Hold your ears folks, it's show time.

My Ride 1:2002 FLHRCI Road King Classic - Vivid Black - Traded

My Ride 2:2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded

My Ride 3:2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded

My Ride 4:2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2016, 02:40:28 PM »

Yeah back when I deer hunted if we hung a deer cold for a month, the meat looked like hell. Have not done that in a long time.  I do the same deal as you on steak, leave in the fridge uncovered for a few days, out of the plastic & the diaper pad, let it sit on paper towels to dry some.  

Jim am not that far into sausage making, do not even cure the stuff I grind.  It is an art.    Thumbs Up

Back when I was in the Italian cheese biz we were as big or bigger than anybody in US for parmesan & romano styles. Also fontinas & asiagos.  After 6 months or more on aging racks, hard cheese looks like moldy crap.  Workers scrape & trim then some styles are wax coated, others are not.  The wax is a mold preventative (air lock), but cheese will mold under the wax sometimes. And the smell of a romano aging room is..... something you just have to experience.  It is so foul & rank, it almost smells good, if you don't puke.  Blue cheese has mold injected into it - edible mold.  Brie & some other styles have edible surface molds.  People mostly do not know, they just know what they think tastes good.  Trick is to eat the edible molds & not eat the inedible molds.  One tastes great, the other you maybe get a trip to the ER.

I like pie.
EBCM 007
J-Carr
AKA: Oscar Diggs

That's what she said

My Ride 1:2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon Copper & Stardust Silver with SEAC, SSERT, and Fulsac 1.75" Slip Ons.  "Screamin' Nemo"

My Ride 2:1966 Road Queen Dori all original parts with some removed for better performance. "Screamin' Malinda"
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2016, 03:51:42 PM »

There is a distinct difference between funk and rot when it comes to dry aging meat.  I've been to plenty of places that have real cured meats like country hams and salamis etc.  Sure there's mold.  Mold is no big deal when it's in the right environment.  But a steak just left to sit for a month in a fridge is probably not going to be on my list of things to eat.  I've seen true pre cut dry aged steaks.  I've see a steak I left a little too long in my fridge.  The smell is not one that I would confuse.

Please stop the planet.  I would like to get off.
iski

My Ride 2:2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded

My Ride 3:2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded

My Ride 4:2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2016, 06:12:36 PM »

I know that smell.  Nobody in their right mind would eat that.  Humidity has to be controlled also for aging, the descriptor is "dry aging." Hams are cured with salt.  Maybe red meat could be salt cured/aged?  Somebody else can try that.  I have dry brined steak a couple of days before grilling.  Ok, but did not notice enough difference to matter that much.

For some reason, nobody ages meat from poultry, and there is no demand for dry aged chicken.   Hysterical Laughing

I like pie.
EBCM 007
Keats
Service Advisor

My Youngest

My Ride 1:2008 FLHTCUSE3

My Ride 2:2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2016, 02:25:23 PM »

Nobody lives from "dry aged" chicken to give a review.....

D&D Fatcats 2 into 1, Andrews 54H Cams, Ported, milled and coated heads, 2.120 intake valve, Timkin Bearing conversion, SE Crank Darkhorse'd Plugged and welded, SE Cam plate, CR 9.8, SE adjust rods, Johnson Lifters, KB Pistons/rings matched w/jugs trued.
J-Carr
AKA: Oscar Diggs

That's what she said

My Ride 1:2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon Copper & Stardust Silver with SEAC, SSERT, and Fulsac 1.75" Slip Ons.  "Screamin' Nemo"

My Ride 2:1966 Road Queen Dori all original parts with some removed for better performance. "Screamin' Malinda"
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2016, 02:27:33 PM »

I thought they were to busy choking it to age it.  I know the nuns said something about burning if you choke your chicken.  Sometimes I think I shoulda paid more attention in catholic school.

Please stop the planet.  I would like to get off.
iski

« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2016, 02:39:21 PM »

Speaking of chicken

Little Feat with Bonnie Raitt & Emmylou Harris singing backup
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R00LLqShdg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R00LLqShdg</a>

I like pie.
EBCM 007
dayne66
Service Advisor

My Ride 1:2012 FLHXSE3

My Ride 2:2015 FLD
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2016, 01:39:35 AM »

Posty McPosterson
Administrator

« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2016, 06:13:21 AM »

Sausage Maker has free shipping today so I'm saving an hour round trip of driving.  I just ordered the red grinder (still on sale), a large amount of 35-38 casings, and the dry age seal bags.

iski

« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2016, 07:29:09 AM »

It's like Christmas in April.

I like pie.
EBCM 007
Posty McPosterson
Administrator

« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2016, 07:43:35 AM »

It's like Christmas in April.

first up, smoked texas beef sausage then spicy buffalo wing sausage  Thumbs Up  Couch Jumper

iski

« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2016, 09:49:42 AM »

first up, smoked texas beef sausage then spicy buffalo wing sausage  Thumbs Up  Couch Jumper

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Somehow I feel responsible & that can mean credit or blame, depending.....

I like pie.
EBCM 007
Posty McPosterson
Administrator

« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2016, 07:01:08 AM »

It's been 5 weeks and a day since I vacuum sealed a rib loin in the UmiDry bag.  It's lost about 15% of it's weight and is very firm.  I intend to cut it into individual vacuum sealed bags and save a big chunk to slice into thin sandwich steaks (depending how awesome the steaks alone are).  I may or may not share pics depending on my motivation.  Couch Jumper

murphy

« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2016, 11:59:46 AM »

Like you've ever had to be motivated to send pics!!!

Hysterical Laughing
Posty McPosterson
Administrator

« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2016, 11:08:14 AM »

OK, I just remembered that I did take a pic of the steak pile.  I got 6 very large steaks, enough for 1 steak to 2 people and sliced about a third of it very thin.  Some of it went on a steak pizza since we were discussing that.  I even put sesame seeds on the crust.  It was a white pizza with fresh steamed baby spinach, sliced tomatoes, lots of onion, pickled cherry peppers, mushrooms, and several types of italian white cheeses.  I took 4 of the steaks to Hogbreath's two weeks ago and between the four of us, we didn't even eat two.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: