CVO Garage
September 23, 2018, 07:47:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Garage is accepting donations for upkeep and maintenance.  Click the Donations Menu Tab to help!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whatcha cookin?  (Read 56296 times)
J-Carr
AKA: Oscar Diggs
Executive QC Service Advisor

That's what she said

My Ride 1:2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon Copper & Stardust Silver with SEAC, SSERT, and Fulsac 1.75" Slip Ons.  "Screamin' Nemo"

My Ride 2:1966 Road Queen Dori all original parts with some removed for better performance. "Screamin' Malinda"
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2016, 08:49:05 AM »

While everyone was rationing steel during WWII the Iski's were the Texan versions of hoarders. I grew up using cast iron cookware. The proper techniques were a culinary mystery and things like scrambled eggs were an exercise in futility. Now that I've read about proper seasoning, cleaning, and preheating I can't be bothered. I treat Teflon like disposable cookware and it gets recycled every 4-6 years. The only pan I have any attachment to is the 14". That's made a lot of memorable meals and maple syrup too. I like the idea of skillet corn bread but make it so infrequently it's not worth having a dedicated can. (Now I think I'll make corn bread today, anyone else use creamed corn in theirs?)
Yes.  I replace half the liquid in the recipe with canned cream corn and cut back on the corn meal by just a bit.  I do that by eye but I'd guess I'm going back about a 1/4 cup.

I have one cast iron pan (15") and one stove top cast iron Dutch oven.  I had a cast iron griddle but it doesn't work well on the glass top stove.  So it sat unused too long and some water had spilled and the edge of it rusted bad.  I just chucked it since I can't use it anyway.  Now I feel bad.

As much as I like cast iron it's heavy and a pain to store.  I hang all my pans except the cast iron.  When we retire to the camper I will want to keep wait down.  So I think my two will be my only two.

Please stop the planet.  I would like to get off.
Posty McPosterson
Administrator

My Ride 1:'07 Cherry Jester
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2016, 09:05:32 AM »

Yes.  I replace half the liquid in the recipe with canned cream corn and cut back on the corn meal by just a bit.  I do that by eye but I'd guess I'm going back about a 1/4 cup.

I have one cast iron pan (15") and one stove top cast iron Dutch oven.  I had a cast iron griddle but it doesn't work well on the glass top stove.  So it sat unused too long and some water had spilled and the edge of it rusted bad.  I just chucked it since I can't use it anyway.  Now I feel bad.

As much as I like cast iron it's heavy and a pain to store.  I hang all my pans except the cast iron.  When we retire to the camper I will want to keep wait down.  So I think my two will be my only two.

I also drizzle maple syrup on the top at the end of baking to get a little sweet crunch to the top.  It's amazing how different it all tastes even 2 hours later.   Banging Head on Wall  I'm definitely making some  today.   Couch Jumper

"A good wife always forgives her husband when she's wrong"
Posty McPosterson
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2016, 09:17:02 AM »

dreaming about dropping the warm pan of corn bread 

iski

Hold your ears folks, it's show time.

My Ride 1:2002 FLHRCI Road King Classic - Vivid Black - Traded

My Ride 2:2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded

My Ride 3:2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded

My Ride 4:2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2016, 10:25:30 AM »

Harrumph.  For the entirety of WWII, not a single Nazi or Japanese attacked central Texas.  My grandma would have shot them then bashed them over the head with her heavy skillet if they had tried....  Hysterical Laughing

We abuse the hell out of our cast iron. Just recently FINALLY convinced the wife to stop using dish soap to clean them, they don't need it. No dishwasher, no time, never.  If a piece sits unused for a long while it will get rusty no matter how well it is seasoned.  Lodge brand stuff comes preseasoned now so is not the pain it used to be when new. Used for lots of quick stuff on top of the stove even stir fry type meals since our wok is...whoknowswhereitwastoobulkytobeuseful. Camping days to clean dutch ovens we sat them in the fire upside down to burn out the food, then wiped out with a paper towel which was then burned in the fire. Maybe spray some Pam if they looked too dry, still do that to our stuff today.  Sometimes at night the dutch ovens would glow cherry red, you try to pick them up by hand maybe once, a pick up tool is needed for that.  Used to make a pineapple upside down cake with cherry pie filling in the dutch ovens & various cakes & fruit cobblers.  I got desert duty most times for Boy Scout campout meals for the adults.  Also did a breakfast casserole back then - kitchen sink style, everything in one pot deal.

We make corn bread a lot, the wife gets requests to bring it to parties quite a bit.  No corn of any kind added usually, if we do add corn it is the non cream Mexican style with peppers & maybe half a can, juice drained.

I like pie.
EBCM 007
J-Carr

That's what she said

My Ride 1:2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon Copper & Stardust Silver with SEAC, SSERT, and Fulsac 1.75" Slip Ons.  "Screamin' Nemo"

My Ride 2:1966 Road Queen Dori all original parts with some removed for better performance. "Screamin' Malinda"
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2016, 12:25:52 PM »

I also drizzle maple syrup on the top at the end of baking to get a little sweet crunch to the top.  It's amazing how different it all tastes even 2 hours later.   Banging Head on Wall  I'm definitely making some  today.   Couch Jumper
Details please:  You make a sweet or non-sweet corn bread?  And then you drizzle the syrup over it and bake a bit more or is the drizzle after it comes out of the oven?  This sounds delicious and I'd hate to screw it up while figuring it out!

Posty McPosterson
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2016, 12:42:04 PM »

I'm not doing it today. Maybe tomorrow. Gotta make beer instead.

Here's how I'd do it..... 2/3 of way through cooking brush top with melted butter to form a crust. 5 minutes left, brush with maple syrup. Maybe go a couple minutes longer if necessary. I've been playing around with the maple top since having Dinosaur's with a crispy sweet top. I haven't used butter before but I've never been able to quite duplicate the crispy top.

CCR
SEEG Cult Senior Member
Master Mechanic

My Ride 1:'05 Two Tone Cherry SEEG

My Ride 2:'98 Anniversary Road King
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2016, 12:49:28 PM »

Family members gave us 10 lbs of onions.
Just normal onions, nothing special
I was a tad flabbergasted, never told anyone that I had problems keeping onions.
But nonetheless, I had a lot of onions.
What to make?
Well french onion soup of course.
Took about 8 lbs of onions total.
The first five lbs I caramelized deeply in butter, garlic, pepper, caraway and fennel seeds
Using an enamel cast iron pot, you can slowly bring these onions to sticky sweet caramel.
MMMMMMM Oh My! Good stuff.
Then I took one of the ribs from Prime Rib News Years roast and allowed that one rib to beef flavor the onions.
More caramelizing, deglazing with white wine.
After several slow hours, I had about eight cups of very dark onion.
Then I chopped up about 3 more lbs of onions and cooked them in butter till almost caramel.
Need some onions in your bowl when eating onion soup, the beginning onions by now were part of the sauce/soup, no longer recognizable as onion.
A bit of Gruyere cheese melted on a piece of toast that fits in bowl
That was some of the best soup I've ever made.

Ingredients ...

5 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided / a tad of oil keeps the butter from burning if you get it a tad hot
5 pounds onions halved lengthwise, peeled, and thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups dry white wine
6 cups homemade beef broth or store-bought low-sodium beef broth
10 sprigs thyme
a tad of caraway and fennel seed --- to taste
A tad of dill
1 baguette or bread you have in house... toast it lightly before putting the cheese on it
1 garlic clove, cut in half lengthwise
4 ounces Gruyère cheese, grated (about 1 cup)
MIKEYTEE
Supreme Bourbon Judge / Posty look a like # 100

ASSHOLE and PIE go together. Uncle Mikey

My Ride 1:1999 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2016, 01:24:55 PM »

Dang Candy that onion soup sounds delicious. What time do we ( Wee )  Thumbs Up eat?
Mike
 Drink

A Vote for progress. Vote for Mikeytee for President in 2020. I'm running on both party's ballots!
DM #5,
Proud member American Asshole Party.
MIKEYTEE
Supreme Bourbon Judge / Posty look a like # 100

ASSHOLE and PIE go together. Uncle Mikey

My Ride 1:1999 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2016, 01:32:05 PM »

Cool and rainy here today but that doesn't mean I cant fry fish on my back porch. Frying beer battered flounder this evening with Jambalaya as a side dish and maybe cole slaw, and to top it off Red Lobster biscuits.
Of course apple pie and ice cream for dessert.
Mike
 Drink   

A Vote for progress. Vote for Mikeytee for President in 2020. I'm running on both party's ballots!
DM #5,
Proud member American Asshole Party.
Posty McPosterson
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2016, 02:33:15 PM »

OK, I want French onion soup and fish fry

murphy

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2016, 02:54:52 PM »

You got something against Red Lobster biscuits?

Nixweiss
dayne66

My Ride 1:2012 FLHXSE3

My Ride 2:2015 FLD
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2016, 03:15:58 PM »

Sausages and Kraut, perogies, and cabbage rolls....Ukrainian night at the Dayne house!
J-Carr

That's what she said

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2016, 03:20:24 PM »

I don't even like French Onion soup that much and now I want some.  And red lobster biscuits are great.  It doesn't have to be complicated to be good.  Bisquick drop biscuits with cheddar and old bay seasoning make a great addition to any soup or seafood meal.  So they fit right in with direction it's going for those of you not having perogies tonight. 

iski

Hold your ears folks, it's show time.

My Ride 1:2002 FLHRCI Road King Classic - Vivid Black - Traded

My Ride 2:2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded

My Ride 3:2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded

My Ride 4:2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2016, 04:06:56 PM »

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!  Thumbs Up To all of the above.

When I was in the cheese biz we had some upscale & mid price restaurants that would buy tube provolone & slice it thin to go over the top of onion soup.  Usually melted over the edge of the bowl, made a real mess, tasted like heaven.  Some places slice it too thick & it globs up.  Gruyere also sounds very, very tasty!

I like pie.
EBCM 007
Posty McPosterson
Administrator

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2016, 04:48:47 PM »

You folks have inspired me. While making beer I prepared a Yankee pot roast. A little vinegar gives it a sauerbraten flare. Mushrooms and sundried tomatoes gives it a Posty flare.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: