CVO Garage
April 25, 2018, 04:47:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Garage is accepting donations for upkeep and maintenance.  Click the Donations Menu Tab to help!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whatcha cookin?  (Read 41084 times)
MIKEYTEE
Supreme Bourbon Judge / Posty look a like # 100
Executive QC Service Advisor

ASSHOLE and PIE go together. Uncle Mikey

My Ride 1:1999 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #360 on: December 23, 2017, 11:31:12 AM »

We decided to have the pulled pork for Christmas.
Christmas dinner will be on Christmas Eve this year.
Mike
 Drink

A Vote for progress. Vote for Mikeytee for President in 2020. I'm running on both party's ballots!
DM #5,
Proud member American Asshole Party.
iski

Hold your ears folks, it's show time.

My Ride 1:2002 FLHRCI Road King Classic - Vivid Black - Traded

My Ride 2:2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded

My Ride 3:2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded

My Ride 4:2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #361 on: December 23, 2017, 11:48:32 AM »

Cut the beef ribs off & trimmed the prime rib portion this morning.  Re-tied & dry brined the meat.  Have the rub mixed up & will apply in a few hours.  Looks like smoker day is tomorrow.  Last time ribs took twice the time of the prime rib, may work out well for a late lunch then the  ribs as late supper.

Wife is making desserts for a party tonight - Special K & peanut butter somethings ?? (in between a cookie & candy) & her version of Millionaires (milk chocolate honey caramel pecan candy). 80 here today, mid 70s tomorrow.   

I like pie.
EBCM 007
MIKEYTEE

« Reply #362 on: December 24, 2017, 02:35:17 PM »

22 pounds of prime rib roasts in the smoker at 10:30 this morning. Cooking at 225 degrees. Internal temperature at 2:25 pm 105 on one and 107 on the other. Using the smoker as an oven. Love the versitillity of this Master Built 44 inch smoker. 
 Mike
 Drink

A Vote for progress. Vote for Mikeytee for President in 2020. I'm running on both party's ballots!
DM #5,
iski

My Ride 2:2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded

My Ride 3:2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded

My Ride 4:2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #363 on: December 24, 2017, 05:07:58 PM »

Sounds great Mike!   Thumbs Up  Smoked prime rib today on the Vision (similar to a Green Egg).  Decided to stop cook at 120F, then browned it 5 or so minutes on each side.  Let it rest until the rest of the food was done.  Turned out rare with the ends not quite medium rare.  Perfect!  One of the easiest meats to cook, gets the best responses.  Beef ribs are still on the smoker & are stalled at 190, usually take them up to 203. At this rate they should be done in time for a later supper, if anybody can move enough to fill another plate.  

The pumpkin pie smothered with whipped cream was also worth a mention.  We'll have leftovers for a few days, weather turns cool tomorrow - today was a great day to be outside!  

Pic is after a few slices were already cut & basically inhaled.  

Drink

I like pie.
EBCM 007
J-Carr
AKA: Oscar Diggs

That's what she said

My Ride 1:2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon Copper & Stardust Silver with SEAC, SSERT, and Fulsac 1.75" Slip Ons.  "Screamin' Nemo"

My Ride 2:1966 Road Queen Dori all original parts with some removed for better performance. "Screamin' Malinda"
« Reply #364 on: December 27, 2017, 08:12:31 AM »

Hey Mikee,
A pinch of salt is around 6 milligrams, depending on how much you pinch.  You're allowed 2 grams or 2000 milligrams.  Keeping it under 1 gram (1000mg) is excellent.

I made the béchamel based seafood Alfredo sauce with lots of Mrs Dash, a heavy pinch of Old Bay which adds salt, a couple of pinches of sea salt, lemon juice, dijon mustard and a crap load of white pepper.  Got rave reviews and I figure it worked out to about 150 mg of salt per serving, much of which comes from the cheese itself.  Raviolis is about 300 per serving for the ricotta filled.  So we were well under Dad's goal of 600mg of sodium per meal.

Those pics look great Mike.  I want red meat now for New Years... But PA Dutch have a tradition of a Pork Roast cooked in a pot of sour kraut all day for the New Year's meal.  I know some other cultures do pork as well and although I love both a pork roast and sour kraut I don't particularly like them cooked together.  I rather season and smoke the pork and have the sour kraut as a side dish.  Wonder if my wife will accept that?

Please stop the planet.  I would like to get off.
iski

« Reply #365 on: December 27, 2017, 09:31:12 AM »

We eat black eyed peas for New Years, for good luck.  Nevermind the years when I didn't have good luck.....  Anyway, usually we add some salt pork or ham to the black eyed peas. 

Not a fan of sauerkraut.  At all. Ever. Think it goes back to my elementary school days. Lunch room.  Not me but more than once somebody at my table barfed up the sauerkraut. Violently, as in spewage.  The kraut smelled bad enough by itself - the lunchroom smelled like a month old kraut factory when we walked in, could cut the air with a knife.  Am guessing the wieners could have been spoiled.  Dunno.  The projectile pukeages were bad.  Bad enough to inspire others in the lunchroom to puke.  A symphony of earping, followed by the horrible SPLASH sound of barf hitting the shiny wood floor.  Followed by the trails of puked up kraut all the way to the restrooms. On kraut days I brought my lunch.  Tablemates would beg for a crust of pbj sandwich or an Oreo or a Twinkie.  Sometimes I took pity on them as they sat with their plates of untouched kraut.  Never been a fan, never will be a fan of kraut. 

I like pie.
EBCM 007
MIKEYTEE

« Reply #366 on: December 27, 2017, 11:45:21 AM »

Now that Christmas cooking and dinner is over, we turn our focus on New Years. Before that I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas! Now for New Years. Like iski we have a version of black eyed peas we call Hoppin John. We also have pork and collards. This traditional New Years Day meal brings good health, prosperity, and luck during the new year. I can't say it all works but I don't want to chance it. I usally hit on two out of three, not too bad for an ASSHOLE!
This year we will have pulled pork BBQ as the main pork dish. Low sodium bacon to start the day/year off right.  Cool
Mike
 Drink

DM #5,
J-Carr

That's what she said

My Ride 1:2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon Copper & Stardust Silver with SEAC, SSERT, and Fulsac 1.75" Slip Ons.  "Screamin' Nemo"

My Ride 2:1966 Road Queen Dori all original parts with some removed for better performance. "Screamin' Malinda"
« Reply #367 on: December 27, 2017, 01:27:28 PM »

I hated Kraut as well.  I actually loved the smell of it but hated the taste which is unusual.  But after trying it (in the school caf) I almost became a barfer myself.  Didn't have any desire to do anything with it.  Until two years ago when I ate some accidentally.  Wife and I were sharing a german platter at the local red faire and I didn't realize some kraut had snuck onto the back of my sausage.  Turns out I don't hate it anymore.  In fact I kinda like it.

So now I've given up my excuse for not giving my wife the pork on new... wait that came out wrong.  I now cook the meal my wife grew up with for her tradition.  She's an easy going wife so its one of those little things I don't mind doing.

I do still hate collared greens.  Black eyed peas I can take or leave.  I guess I am a yankee when it comes to taste.  Sorry y'all.

iski

« Reply #368 on: December 27, 2017, 02:30:18 PM »

Tried kraut a few years ago as an adult.  Still nope.  Not much on collard greens or turnip greens. They were all over the place when I was growing up, just never liked the taste.  Spinach - love it!  Raw or cooked, always liked spinach.

Wife says lasagna for New Years.  No plans to go out, unless it's a friend close by we skip the partying.  She makes a damn good lasagna.  Not sure how it compares to others, recipe is from when I worked for Frigo & it uses ricotta & provolone & we go a little heavier on the meat with red sauce.  Will have corn bread probably, corn bread goes with the black eyed peas.  Have had hoppin' john - ok just prepared a little different - no onion or rice in ours.  Will have peas for days, we always make a lot.

I like pie.
EBCM 007
iski

« Reply #369 on: December 27, 2017, 05:00:44 PM »

Heard the local store will have King crab legs for $18.99/# starting tomorrow.  Will have to go take a look, for New Year's maybe.

I like pie.
EBCM 007
J-Carr

That's what she said

« Reply #370 on: December 28, 2017, 10:31:11 AM »

I hate working for crab.  I love the taste, but suck at getting to the meat.  Legs, claws, whole maryland crab.  Don't matter.  I suck.

Used to do Lasagna.  My Dego mother made it.  We ate it.  Mom's going around the bend mentally now.  Mini strokes have added up.  Pretty much a mid level alzheimers with her symptoms although its not that disease if the effects are the same... who cares.  It sucks.  It took her 7 hours to make 4 batches of Christmas cookies.  (we asked for one...)  So not going to do Lasagna.  Sticking with the Kraut and Pork.

Thinking we're going to a neighbor friends.  Just them and their two teens and us.  No worries about driving and no pretending to be happy to meet people we don't have time to know.

iski

« Reply #371 on: December 28, 2017, 12:55:58 PM »

Crab legs are not on the menu.  Agreed, too much work, king crab is better than the other kinds though. Lasagna likely.  Too bad on your Mom.  No fun.  My Mom called the house, my cell, and my wife's cell yesterday.  I was outside filling birdfeeders, came in saw all the missed calls.  She was crying, just short of having a fit.  My nephew - her favorite by leaps & bounds - had a minor medical issue & she was freaking out.  Called me a couple of times later to tell me he was all ok, but she was still worried blah blah blah.  I have to be patient with her, she gets real confused.  Not really dementia, not alzheimer's, just a sort of confused state of mind.  She has been that way for 20 years or more.  She dotes on my nephew, if he gets a hangnail she interprets that as a foot in the grave. My sister, the nephew's mom, is a major hypochondriac. Trips to the ER for nothing, over & over.  Because she is dying, except the instruments that go "ding" & "bink" never agree with that. Masters in psychology, she will be giving advice as a therapist before long.  Lucky patients.....

Weather here is chitty wet chitty.  Better than icy freezing chitty.  Cold for the next 2 weeks, lows a few nights in the 20s.  The moron contingent is already saying we will get snow.  Right.  They say that any time the temp falls below 32 & there is a 10% chance of rain.  So far 23 yeas & one day of VERY brief snow flurries.  They called off school.  Because.  No ice on roads.  Just because.

I like pie.
EBCM 007
Posty McPosterson
Administrator

My Ride 1:'07 Cherry Jester
« Reply #372 on: December 28, 2017, 07:12:30 PM »

I scored the bone from MIL’s Christmas ham. I still have 4 lbs of dried black beans. I may not even have to go to the store to make a few gallons of a spicy black bean and ham soup. The weather has been bitter cold with no end in sight. I ordered a stainless steel thermos today so I can have warm soup in my cold car between stops.   

"A good wife always forgives her husband when she's wrong"
iski

« Reply #373 on: December 28, 2017, 07:17:59 PM »

Wife cooked ham bean soup all afternoon in the slow cooker.  Wife made corn bread to go with it.  Good stuff. 

I like pie.
EBCM 007
Twolanerider

My Ride 1:2000 FLTRSEI

My Ride 2:2002 FLHRSEI (home made)
« Reply #374 on: December 28, 2017, 07:48:02 PM »

Wife cooked ham bean soup all afternoon in the slow cooker.  Wife made corn bread to go with it.  Good stuff. 

Given the similarities in spelling am wondering what gains could had in the system if "wife" came with wifi connectivity for app control ?

(that's probably something only a single guy could get away with asking?  Nixweiss  )

By the way.  I ordered a new laundry pair this afternoon (to go with the other thread).  Washer and dryer have wifi.  They will alert to load statuses and alert when done.  Will alert if something stops the load.  Will alert if loads are out of balance.  Other stuff too.  Washer also lets you pour love long time amount of detergent in (like a gallon) and it will dispense as needed.  When it gets low washer will automatically re-order detergent from Amazon for me.  Is this like a wife with wifi ?
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: