CVO Garage
August 20, 2018, 03:37:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Garage is accepting donations for upkeep and maintenance.  Click the Donations Menu Tab to help!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Milling Around  (Read 6744 times)
iski
Executive QC Service Advisor

Hold your ears folks, it's show time.

My Ride 1:2002 FLHRCI Road King Classic - Vivid Black - Traded

My Ride 2:2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded

My Ride 3:2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded

My Ride 4:2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« on: October 29, 2016, 05:08:47 PM »

The BSR really liked her Kuryakyn Adjustable Passenger pegs on the other bikes.  Spoke to Kury in Daytona and later by phone since they do not show fitment for 2014-17 CVO Limited.  Confirmed they do not make any that fit those years, was told would have to replace passenger board mounts and possibly passenger boards & then buy a new set for $199.  I kept the old set off the old bike & told a friend about it & he says - I have a milling machine.

Spent this morning milling out the insides of these pegs to fit the existing board mounts.  His milling machine worked great, nice even cuts.  Otherwise I would have been using a hand cutting tool & a dremel while the pegs were held in my vise.  

After that I helped him with a CO2 issue on his kegerator & since it was lunch was beer thirty.  So we drank beer & smoked cigars for a couple of hours to commiserate on his new concrete slab under his awning that will be a screen porch/spare garage maybe someday.  Nice breeze, beautiful day, his wife walks down to tell us we look lazy & worthless & we both said "So?"  A good day, half wasted, half semi wasted.

When I got home BSR was pleased after a minor passenger board adjustment.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 05:11:30 PM by iski » Logged

I like pie.
EBCM 007
J-Carr
AKA: Oscar Diggs

That's what she said

My Ride 1:2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon Copper & Stardust Silver with SEAC, SSERT, and Fulsac 1.75" Slip Ons.  "Screamin' Nemo"

My Ride 2:1966 Road Queen Dori all original parts with some removed for better performance. "Screamin' Malinda"
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 06:18:50 AM »

Cool.  The suckiest thing about going to a new bike is all the stuff that you like from the old on e that doesn't fit.  Yo0u'll need to post some picks of them installed so we can see how they fit.  I have a couple of friends who have them on older bikes who might like to see it.

Please stop the planet.  I would like to get off.
iski

My Ride 2:2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded

My Ride 3:2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded

My Ride 4:2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 06:50:40 AM »

Ok - no pics taken during the process.  Could be done by hand, had a fitment issue on the RK & used a pair of these from another bike that according to Kury would not fit the RK. After a grinding wheel & a Dremel they fit fine.  The clam shell cases of this piece that fit over the board bracket are made of die cast aluminum.  Very soft, easy enough to drill/grind out.   Difference in using a milling machine vs hand grinding/drilling was no external chrome was messed up, a much better finish. Used a hand file & a flat screwdriver to remove burrs.

Sometimes these redneck engineered adaptations work out well.  Sometimes the part becomes a piece of trash.  A few time a part has fit but looked so poorly done have just chucked it.  Black paint & clear nail polish are your friend & can salvage some of these experiments, too.

I like pie.
EBCM 007
iski

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 08:24:51 AM »

Kuryakyn Adjustable passenger pegs

Right side peg

Right side peg front

Right side peg back
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 08:38:52 AM by iski » Logged

I like pie.
EBCM 007
iski

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 08:27:29 AM »

Left side peg

Left side peg back

Eventually will fill the gap with clear silicone sealer.  Decided during the process best result would be to mirror the clam shell pieces that fit over the passenger board bracket.  Not enough material on the top to mill much, took quite a bit off the bottom inside bracket.  Pleased with overall result since the BSR is pleased.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 08:30:02 AM by iski » Logged

I like pie.
EBCM 007
J-Carr

That's what she said

My Ride 1:2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon Copper & Stardust Silver with SEAC, SSERT, and Fulsac 1.75" Slip Ons.  "Screamin' Nemo"

My Ride 2:1966 Road Queen Dori all original parts with some removed for better performance. "Screamin' Malinda"
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 02:32:28 PM »

Thumbs Up cool.  Happy wife, happy life.

iski

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 02:44:39 PM »

True.  Thumbs Up

These pegs are popular around here, see them on a lot of bikes.  Seems odd that Kury would not have a part for 4 years running of CVO Limiteds & Street Glides, probably 60,000+ bikes. 

I like pie.
EBCM 007
J-Carr

That's what she said

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 03:35:14 PM »

Kury seems to be really concentrating on getting product out for the Polaris Brands.  I've seen most of the new releases there instead of in the metric or HD lines.  Since most of their stuff is still usuable on the new HDs it seems to be less of a concern for them.

Or they see the HD market continuing to shrink while Polaris ontinues to grow.

iski

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 04:26:57 PM »

Noticed the same thing.  Maybe less competition for Polaris platform parts?

Forgot to mention, if you look very closely at pic #2, Right side peg, upper right hand corner, in between the fins, you will see 127 Hillary emails.  No idea at all on how they got there.... Hysterical Laughing

I like pie.
EBCM 007
vazhog
Master Mechanic

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 04:50:25 PM »

Kury seems to be really concentrating on getting product out for the Polaris Brands.  I've seen most of the new releases there instead of in the metric or HD lines.  Since most of their stuff is still usuable on the new HDs it seems to be less of a concern for them.

Or they see the HD market continuing to shrink while Polaris ontinues to grow.

You Are correct Sales Number is the difference -More driven by price point

Reminder Heath Insurance -is NOT Health Care - Hope you can find a Doctor that accepts it.
Hogbreath
Master Mechanic

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 05:56:25 PM »

What are photos of motorcycle parts doing on a titty site?
Twolanerider

My Ride 1:1999 FXR2 (red)

My Ride 2:2000 FLTRSEI (redder)

My Ride 3:2002 FLHRSEI (home made and even redder)

My Ride 4:bought an Indian (hat)
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 06:41:21 PM »

What are photos of motorcycle parts doing on a titty site?

Because it's illegal (and uncomfortable) to use a milling machine on a titty?
iski

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2016, 07:02:22 PM »

Sexy!

I like pie.
EBCM 007
iski

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2016, 04:05:38 PM »

Speaking of mills and titties, I put floorboard extenders on the new bike this week.

http://vtwingoodies.com/pages/12fl_cvo.html

Extends the boards out 1" on each side.  Easy install, like them a lot.  Much safer than washers/spacers from the hardware store.

I like pie.
EBCM 007
J-Carr

That's what she said

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2016, 10:02:06 PM »

Speaking of mills and titties, I put floorboard extenders on the new bike this week.

http://vtwingoodies.com/pages/12fl_cvo.html

Extends the boards out 1" on each side.  Easy install, like them a lot.  Much safer than washers/spacers from the hardware store.
i have them on Nemo.  But the narrower leg position due to the air cleaner and horn being tucked tighter has me pretty comfortable with stock.  So far I've been planning on leaving them stock.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: