CVO Garage
July 15, 2018, 07:42:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Garage is accepting donations for upkeep and maintenance.  Click the Donations Menu Tab to help!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Geno's and Pat's in Philly  (Read 8629 times)
Icy Bay
Mechanic

My Ride 1:2004 SEEG  B&B
« on: March 18, 2009, 07:29:19 PM »

The most famous Cheese Steask in Philyly.
Pat's has been around since 1930 and Geno's is a newcomer-only since the sixties. They are across the street from each other in South Philly. 
I liked Geno's, my buddy liked Pat's best.
Keats
Service Advisor

My Youngest

My Ride 1:2008 FLHTCUSE3

My Ride 2:2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 08:34:01 PM »

Do not forget Jim's on south St , Tony Lukes on Oregon and Dellasandras in RoxBorough.

D&D Fatcats 2 into 1, Andrews 54H Cams, Ported, milled and coated heads, 2.120 intake valve, Timkin Bearing conversion, SE Crank Darkhorse'd Plugged and welded, SE Cam plate, CR 9.8, SE adjust rods, Johnson Lifters, KB Pistons/rings matched w/jugs trued.
J-Carr
AKA: Oscar Diggs
Executive QC Service Advisor

That's what she said

My Ride 1:2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon Copper & Stardust Silver with SEAC, SSERT, and Fulsac 1.75" Slip Ons.  "Screamin' Nemo"

My Ride 2:1966 Road Queen Dori all original parts with some removed for better performance. "Screamin' Malinda"
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 03:05:27 PM »

Jeff can fight with me as he's from the area... But I challenge any one to argue against Tony Luke's (that Jeff mentioned in the previous post). Hands down the best Cheese steak in Philly.  And with the exposure they've gotton on Food Network, they may soon have the name recognition to go with the great steak.

The problem with all the ones mentiones in this thread... They suck to ride to.  Driving in Philly on the bike is pretty high on my list of things that suck.  I won't do it with Malinda riding beside me.  She's a great rider, but my heart just couldn't take it!  Not mention to get to any of them from my house we have to take a ride on a road affectionately refered to as the ShureKill Expressway (Schuylkill Expressyay; I-76). Just not worth it no matter how goos the Cheesesteaks are.

BTW.  If you see anyone approach a Philly cheesesteak with a long sleeve shirt on, you know they're a tourist or it's not a real Philly.

And one final rant:

A "Philly" cheesesteak is Sliced Steak (Not that formed and press chit), Cheese (Wiz) and a roll.  If you order a cheesesteak and get anything else on it without requesting it, they don't know what they're doing.  It's fine to order add ons, just don't pretend they "Belong" there.   Banging Head on Wall It's a pet peeve of mine.  I moved out of the Philly area and now have to constantly fight the local pizzeria's to leave sauce, onions, peppers off the damn thing unless I request it.

Ride Safe,
JC

Off on a rant   Hysterical Laughing

Ride Safe,
JC

Please stop the planet.  I would like to get off.
Talon
Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 03:11:58 PM »

Living in NJ for over 21 years I personally don't like the Philly, Philly cheese steaks. I like the way they make them in NJ, I don't like the cheese whiz, chit!

NJ cheese steak with real cheese, sauteed onions, mushrooms and green peppers, Now that's a cheese steak!! For a great addition as some crumbled bacon. Thumbs Up
J-Carr

That's what she said

My Ride 1:2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon Copper & Stardust Silver with SEAC, SSERT, and Fulsac 1.75" Slip Ons.  "Screamin' Nemo"

My Ride 2:1966 Road Queen Dori all original parts with some removed for better performance. "Screamin' Malinda"
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 03:15:16 PM »

Living in NJ for over 21 years I personally don't like the Philly, Philly cheese steaks. I like the way they make them in NJ, I don't like the cheese whiz, chit!

NJ cheese steak with real cheese, sauteed onions, mushrooms and green peppers, Now that's a cheese steak!! For a great addition as some crumbled bacon. Thumbs Up
Shhhh!

That's the big secret.  Wink I grew up in Camden county.  We had cheesesteaks there that bury the cheeze wiz steaks.  But Tony Luke's has both which is why they're #1 in my book.

Ride Safe,
JC

Keats
Service Advisor

My Youngest

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 04:37:29 PM »

Philly steaks do not have to be "wit" "wiz"  (that is with onions and cheese wiz)
I hate wiz, so you order with provolone or american instead (they all have that option)
My kids like the wiz

D&D Fatcats 2 into 1, Andrews 54H Cams, Ported, milled and coated heads, 2.120 intake valve, Timkin Bearing conversion, SE Crank Darkhorse'd Plugged and welded, SE Cam plate, CR 9.8, SE adjust rods, Johnson Lifters, KB Pistons/rings matched w/jugs trued.
J-Carr

That's what she said

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 12:51:57 PM »

Philly steaks do not have to be "wit" "wiz"  (that is with onions and cheese wiz)
I hate wiz, so you order with provolone or american instead (they all have that option)
My kids like the wiz

True.  But once you order with american or prov it's not a real philly anymore.  It's better in my opinion, just not a classic philly cheesesteak.  I know Tony's does either, but I thought Pat and Geno's only did the wiz....  Been a long time for me though so I'm sure I could be way off base!

Ride Safe,
JC

Miker

SoA # 1.77245385

My Ride 1:2009 FLHTCUSE4

My Ride 2:1935 VLD
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 01:07:06 PM »

Floridah is slippin away...

http://www.bigalssteaks.com/home.html

Nevermind
Icy Bay
Mechanic

My Ride 1:2004 SEEG  B&B
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 01:17:06 PM »

Both of em serve with Provolone, American or whiz, and sauteed onions.  Pats has a lot of other options like pepper steak etc. I like the provolone.
Miker

SoA # 1.77245385

My Ride 1:2009 FLHTCUSE4

My Ride 2:1935 VLD
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 01:17:40 PM »

You would, gringo...

Nevermind
Keats
Service Advisor

My Youngest

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 07:25:44 PM »

True.  But once you order with american or prov it's not a real philly anymore.  It's better in my opinion, just not a classic philly cheesesteak.  I know Tony's does either, but I thought Pat and Geno's only did the wiz....  Been a long time for me though so I'm sure I could be way off base!

Ride Safe,
JC
Pats and Geno's and every cheese steak place i(including Tony Luke's) in Philly gives you an alt choice instead of Wiz.
Most cheesesteaks downtown are not with wiz. If they only had wiz I would not go.  Wiz may be uniquely Philly. but that doesn't mean it is a Philly cheeseSteak.
take it from the cheesesteak culinary expert.

J-Carr

That's what she said

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 08:28:43 AM »

Pats and Geno's and every cheese steak place i(including Tony Luke's) in Philly gives you an alt choice instead of Wiz.
Most cheesesteaks downtown are not with wiz. If they only had wiz I would not go.  Wiz may be uniquely Philly. but that doesn't mean it is a Philly cheeseSteak.
take it from the cheesesteak culinary expert.

Hmmm.  See I agree that the wiz blows.  So I order 'em with American.  But I still say to be an authentic Philly Cheesesteak it has to have the wiz.  I think the only way to settle this is to get together and sample some variety's until we all come to an agreement.  Grin Or hurl from overeating!   Hysterical Laughing

Personally, my feeling is that the meat and roll make the sandwich.  Everything else is just to taste.  I like shrooms and American.  Sometimes sauteed onions.  The whole wat makes a it a Philly Steak thing is a long playing joke I have with a friend from Kansas City who took me to great Philly Cheesesteak place.  Ummm.  It wasn't.  Great or Philly.  So we had to come up with a definition.  Wiz was the argument becasue no-one out there had ever even heard of putting Wiz on a steak.  So now I always have to be an  asshole and argue the Wiz.  Even though I don't actually like it!

Wierd ain't I?  Hysterical Laughing

Ride Safe,
JC

Talon
Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 01:06:52 PM »

It's preparation too, where I lived in NJ, they would saute a bunch of onions and green peppers in oil first thing when they got in, when the good and cooked, but not brown, Then they put them in a metal pan on the very edge of the grill, just enough to keep the warm. Fresh sliced steak, on the grill, throw the extras on the grill beside the steak, muchrooms, green peppers, onions. Chop the steak as it cooks. make a pike out of it and flip it on top of your extras then place cheese on top, then lay the open roll on top! Take a spatula Slide it under, flipping the whole sandwitch over, salt and pepper, ready to go! Man I'm really hungry now! Thumbs Up
Posty McPosterson
Administrator

My Ride 1:'07 Cherry Jester
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 01:17:40 PM »

I've been to Pat's.  My only complaint is that it's not cooked to order.  It's like a vendor at the county fair.  There's a great place in Niagara Falls called Viola's.  It's the soup nazi of steak subs.  All are cooked to order.

And of course, in Buffalo, there's Jim's Steak Out.

"A good wife always forgives her husband when she's wrong"
Keats
Service Advisor

My Youngest

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 08:05:50 PM »

I've been to Pat's.  My only complaint is that it's not cooked to order. 
Cooked to order? now that is funny   Hysterical Laughing Hysterical Laughing Hysterical Laughing

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: